Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SL55 airbox setup flow bench tested

Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default SL55 airbox setup flow bench tested

so today i took a customer loaned sl55 airbox setup to the flow bench to be tested as well as being tested with our devil horn setup.

we have previously tested several combo's of our CAI/DCAI's along with the stock srt6 intake system, that data is here...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...flow-data.html

todays testing was also done at ~ 15in/h2o

the sl55 setup we recieved had some trimming/damage to one of the "snorkle" tubes in which i assume he trimmed to fit on the srt6. we did however had a brand new identical (without the trimming done) air snorkel tube here that we did up for a sl600 a while back, anyways i substituted that in place so that both snorkle tubes would be OEM sl55 so the trimmed/broken inlet end would not squew the results. the sl55 setup had paper filters installed (not k&n drop in's) so thats what we did the testing with.

the results were what i was expecting and saying for the past few years but today i ponied up and dropped some coin for the flow bench time so this could be put to rest.

stock sl55 setup with paper filters and stock snorkle tubes flowed between 513-515cfm @ 15 in/h20

i then went for the devil horns setup. now i do not have any of the aluminum tubes that customers have been using to connect the devil horns to the sl55 airboxes so i did make a substitution. the tubes anthony sells have 2 bends in them, the tube i substituted had only 1 bend in it. sorry i made due with what we had here today. to once the substitued snorkle tubes went on we connected up our devil horns. with the horns on and the same flow rate we made 529-533cfm.

the attachment to the flow bench was identical to the setup we used on our previous trip there with the straight 3" tube heading up and then a 90deg silicone coupler to another straight section of 3' tubing aiming towards the back of the bench, this enabled us to attach the entire intake systems. yes the number for all tests would have been increased if that setup was not used for the adaptor to the bench but at that point we wouldnt have been able to test most of these setups. the important point is that all tests were performed the same in a climate controlled environment even though they were done on different days. im sure there is a very slight difference in humidity from then to now but we are talking a very slight difference in numbers if any.

so there is the data, the sl55 setup does indeed flow better then the oem srt6 air intake system but it is no where near the flow numbers of even our single CAI system.

so to get the important numbers together...
stock srt6 intake = 446cfm
sl55 intake = 514
sl55 with devil horns = 531
single CAI with teflon = 602
dual CAI with teflon and big filters = 748

i should have brought in a dcai setup with the normal filters to slap on there today also but we didn't have any ready, i'll have to do that next time we do testing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0858.jpg (929.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: SL55 airbox setup flow bench tested

Very interesting.

I assume the story would play out similarly with the N/A intake, C320 intake (supposed to flow 50% more air), single Needswings and dual Needswings.

On the NA, would it actually have enough air volume to truly benefit from the dual CAI? I know the gain is HUGE on the SRT guys, but ours?

Thanks for the research!!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

So at what point is enough, enough? I understand that the DAI is 748, but what does the engine NEED to pull to meet its full potential? SRT6, NA?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
So at what point is enough, enough? I understand that the DAI is 748, but what does the engine NEED to pull to meet its full potential? SRT6, NA?
That was my question as well because the gains between the needswings single and double don't seem that far apart

Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager
That was my question as well because the gains between the needswings single and double don't seem that far apart
my seat of the pants dyno begs to differ...accel is more crisp...and instant....

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
my seat of the pants dyno begs to differ...accel is more crisp...and instant....
+1 NA also has better top end with single NW....and improved midrange response with dual......I'm very happy with this setup and can't wait for the cooler weather to take it back to the strip to confirm butt feeling

Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanx for the info rob!! that helps me a ton because i cant run the dual cai in my 32 without cutting up the grille. you guys have much more room in the front than i do. the 55 setup will work just fine with my c3 and is now added to the list!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks Rob, I needed that now i know why my arf changed with each intake i tested. your Duel produced the best afr and the most hp. thanks jim

Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it real interesting that the Devil Horns have added 16 cfm to the air
flow. After that awful long lecture about how they would add nothing.
Seriously, 16 cfm isn't big, but every little bit helps.

Speaking of every little bit. I wonder how the SL55 setup would flow if
they had K&N filters (or some other higher flow filter) instead of the
stock filters. Just how much would be added by the filter swap? Enough
to compete with the NW single?

Just curious...

Coyote

Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

I would like to see a photo of the test set up.
I have particular interest in the set up for the horns.
As the set up may indicate if the test actually proved their worth or not.
Enquiring minds want to know.
I assume the air was sucked through the systems.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I was the first to modify and install the SL55 intake to fit in an SRT6.

My logic being; that if the SL55 airboxes can "flow" enough air for a supercharged 5.5L V8 engine they can "flow" enough air for my supercharged 3.2L V6 engine.

Seems the SL55 intake flowed enough air to "more then" hold it's own against a Dual NW equipped SRT6.

That's good enough for me.....

Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Gotta ask, how are the horns helping without vehicle motion and increased airflow? I can see that they would support increased scooping of air from the cold zone while driving but can't get my head around how they are improving your bench tests?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 AM

Do any of the Needswings airbox's pass California emissions?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 AM

Rob, thanks for your interesting results!!!

Do you also have numbers how the flow changes from STOCK PAPER FILTER to K&N FILTER in the stock or SL55-Intake?

Thank you very much!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

“I assume the story would play out similarly with the N/A intake, C320 intake (supposed to flow 50% more air), single Needswings and dual Needswings. On the NA, would it actually have enough air volume to truly benefit from the dual CAI? I know the gain is HUGE on the SRT guys, but ours?”

First off I highly highly doubt a c320 airbox will come even close to a 50% increase in flow. If someone wants to send that in and cover the flow bench fee’s id be more the happy to flow whatever ya want.
As for the dual being too much for the N/A… the dual is capable of flowing more air then the n/a motor can ingest but just because the dual is not at its full potential we still get a dramatic increase in efficiency. With this increase in efficiency (much less restriction), the n/a’s get an easier working motor which means more power and more mpg at any given rpm level.

“thanx for the info rob!! That helps me a ton because I can’t run the dual CAI in my 32 without cutting up the grille. You guys have much more room in the front than I do. The 55 setup will work just fine with my c3 and is now added to the list! ”

I have personally installed single and dual CAI’s on the slk32’s and did not need to cut or otherwise permanently modify anything for it to fit. It just takes a few extra minutes to make sure everything is set in there correctly.

“I find it real interesting that the Devil Horns have added 16 cfm to the air
Seriously, 16 cfm isn't big, but every little bit helps.”

The air increase is due to the rolling edge of the devil horns as air enters the tube, we were also able to improve upon the devil horns on the flow bench by playing with some clay around the horns back half but that is something we will have to look into to see how feasible it would be to do on future devil horns. Ideally this is by far the best flowing inlet but there isn’t room for it.
http://www.vibrantperformance.com/pressrelease23.php they have one of those there at the shop for demonstration and it will outflow the bench!

“Speaking of every little bit. I wonder how the SL55 setup would flow if
they had K&N filters (or some other higher flow filter) instead of the
stock filters. Just how much would be added by the filter swap? Enough
to compete with the NW single?”

If someone wants to send in the different filter and cover the flow bench time I’d be more than happy, my guess would be a 20-25cfm increase.

“I would like to see a photo of the test set up.
I assume the air was sucked through the systems.”

Check the attached image in the first post. Yes air was sucked thru the system the same way as it would on the car. The only difference is that we plug the valve cover breather port on every system we tested.

“Seems the SL55 intake flowed enough air to “more than” hold its own against a Dual NW equipped SRT6.”

Not for long, Paul’s sl55 airbox will be hanging on his garage wall very shortly

“Gotta ask, how are the horns helping without vehicle motion and increased airflow? I can see that they would support increased scooping of air from the cold zone while driving but can't get my head around how they are improving your bench tests?”

Angle of approach for the incoming air, it has nothing to do with vehicle speed; it is how efficiently we can get the air into the tube. Notice in the first flow bench thread how the CAI’s flow better with an air filter on then versus removing the air filter completely and sucking thru a straight cut 3’ piece of aluminum. This is due to the insides of the air filter and how they have a nice round smooth transition.

“Do any of the Needswings airbox's pass California emissions?”

Sorry we are in Michigan and do not have a way to have them tested. If you have any info I’d love to hear it. Now we do properly filter the air and also keep the valve cover breather tube in place so all emissions systems are still in check so it should but we do not have a CARB sticker for them, hence they are sold for “off road use only”.

“Do you also have numbers how the flow changes from STOCK PAPER FILTER to K&N FILTER in the stock or SL55-Intake? Thank you very much! ”

Sorry I do not, k&n failed to financially sponsor the flow bench time for us @ $150/hr

Last edited by NeedsWings; 09-03-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
First off I highly highly doubt a c320 airbox will come even close to a 50% increase in flow. If someone wants to send that in and cover the flow bench fee’s id be more the happy to flow whatever ya want. As for the dual being too much for the N/A… the dual is capable of flowing more air then the n/a motor can ingest but just because the dual is not at its full potential we still get a dramatic increase in efficiency. With this increase in efficiency (much less restriction), the n/a’s get an easier working motor which means more power and more mpg at any given rpm level.
I got my figures from TVT (take that with a grain of salt, lol).

They had compared a factory Crossfire N/A airbox with paper filters, to a gutted C320 airbox (all baffling removed) and a pair of K&N filters.

Between the bigger volume, TVT intake tubes, and freer-flowing filters, the car is MUCH more responsive.

Still, I've always flirted with the idea of a NW dual. Saving my pennies for wheels now though.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings

“I find it real interesting that the Devil Horns have added 16 cfm to the air
Seriously, 16 cfm isn't big, but every little bit helps.”

The air increase is due to the rolling edge of the devil horns as air enters the tube, we were also able to improve upon the devil horns on the flow bench by playing with some clay around the horns back half but that is something we will have to look into to see how feasible it would be to do on future devil horns. Ideally this is by far the best flowing inlet but there isn’t room for it.
Vibrant Performance ::. they have one of those there at the shop for demonstration and it will outflow the bench!

“I would like to see a photo of the test set up.
I assume the air was sucked through the systems.”

Check the attached image in the first post. Yes air was sucked thru the system the same way as it would on the car. The only difference is that we plug the valve cover breather port on every system we tested.

“Gotta ask, how are the horns helping without vehicle motion and increased airflow? I can see that they would support increased scooping of air from the cold zone while driving but can't get my head around how they are improving your bench tests?”

Angle of approach for the incoming air, it has nothing to do with vehicle speed; it is how efficiently we can get the air into the tube. Notice in the first flow bench thread how the CAI’s flow better with an air filter on then versus removing the air filter completely and sucking thru a straight cut 3’ piece of aluminum. This is due to the insides of the air filter and how they have a nice round smooth transition.
That's a lot of questions and answers, thanks a lot for the effort involved.
I have interest in the horns and have publicly disputed the scooping effect, the reduction in turbulence is interesting.
I still dispute the scooping effect, although closer to the solid tube it will lessen turbulence and I accept that. As to the member who said that a previous discussion was an awful lecture, I will study their posts and see if he/she has added to any serious discussions or if all his posts were mostly neutral or negative inputs. The increase is about 3% for the devils horns, I suspect that the gains would be hard to notice, although with a redesign it should be possible to get more.
Immediately behind the grille is a very turbulent area and I can see that filters would dampen this, the bell intake that you link to would also have this calming effect.
A devils horn shorter and without the long scoop and with a bell type end, even if it had a greater angle in it surely would be better still.
As to the member who said that a previous discussion was an awful lecture, I will study their posts and see if they have added to any serious discussions.
The increase is about 3% for the devils horns, I suspect that the gains would be hard to notice, although with a redesign it should be possible to get more.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-03-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rob how did you get the 90 elbow bends around the grille mounts on the slk32? on mine when i installed the devil hornsw no matter how i arranged the elbows they hit the grille mounts in the lower position. i had to notch the elbows so the tubes would sit low enough to allow the grille to mounted. pics would be awesome

Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Rob,
Thanks for the great test info. It tells me what the seat of my pants already knows. When I installed the dual CAI I purchased from you the improvement in performance was awesome. I think that basic common sense tells you that the greater the volume of air the engine can take in the better.
I just took my SRT6 in for its bi-annual emissions test, and it passed with no problems whatsoever. The only engine mods I have are the dual CAI as well as the Needswings coolant separation kit. BTW, that makes
a noticeable difference here in Arizona as well. Not a single shut down
of my supercharger since I made this mod.
Thanks again Rob, for all the innovative work.
ArizonaJohn

Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That's a lot of questions and answers, thanks a lot for the effort involved.
I have interest in the horns and have publicly disputed the scooping effect, the reduction in turbulence is interesting.
I still dispute the scooping effect, although closer to the solid tube it will lessen turbulence and I accept that. As to the member who said that a previous discussion was an awful lecture, I will study their posts and see if he/she has added to any serious discussions or if all his posts were mostly neutral or negative inputs. The increase is about 3% for the devils horns, I suspect that the gains would be hard to notice, although with a redesign it should be possible to get more.
Immediately behind the grille is a very turbulent area and I can see that filters would dampen this, the bell intake that you link to would also have this calming effect.
A devils horn shorter and without the long scoop and with a bell type end, even if it had a greater angle in it surely would be better still.
As to the member who said that a previous discussion was an awful lecture, I will study their posts and see if they have added to any serious discussions.
The increase is about 3% for the devils horns, I suspect that the gains would be hard to notice, although with a redesign it should be possible to get more.
Please, do study my earlier postings. I've been on this forum for
a rather long time, and I've offered input on many subjects. I happened
to think your posting (if it was yours, I wasn't too interested in
remembering the name) was over blown and rather snooty. If you find
that offensive, sorry, but that was my opinion.

Coyote (ready for the audit)

Quick Reply: SL55 airbox setup flow bench tested