Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Front Brake Challenge

Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Challenge

RE: 2005 SRT6. I'm replacing all brakes and rotors. Rears were no problem. When I removed the front caliper and compressed the first puck the other puck extended. Now I cannot get it to compress. I took the caliper off so I can get to everything and still, even with a pipe compression clamp I cannot get it to budge. I know some Mercedes require the puck to be rotated so I rotated the one on the SRT6 and still no luck. I'm sure there's an expert on here who has the solution. Old Dog, new toy. I appreciate any insight.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:39 AM
Default Re: Front Brake Challenge

Both caliper pistons should be compressed at the same time, you use the old brake pad on there with a c-clamp or other brake compression tool so that you do not overextend the other piston, if you did then you can try to open the bleeder screw on that caliper and try to push it back in a little using your fingers (not tools) until you feel it start to go in, wiggle it a little as it might not be lined up properly and you can try turning a little as well, but in some cases you cannot put it back in and it's usually not feasable and sometimes not possible to rebuild the caliper compared to buying another caliper, but maybe you'll get lucky, just be sure to test it out later to make sure it is working properly and not locking up on you as it may be damaged. I have not run into that problem so maybe someone who has on these cars can chime in with some additional help.

Last edited by performanceisland; 01-15-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by RKC00
RE: 2005 SRT6. I'm replacing all brakes and rotors. Rears were no problem. When I removed the front caliper and compressed the first puck the other puck extended. Now I cannot get it to compress. I took the caliper off so I can get to everything and still, even with a pipe compression clamp I cannot get it to budge. I know some Mercedes require the puck to be rotated so I rotated the one on the SRT6 and still no luck. I'm sure there's an expert on here who has the solution. Old Dog, new toy. I appreciate any insight.
I gave my answer in the correct forum, why add two posts? The answers get all mixed up.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Thank You for your insight. A little finesse and all is well.