Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SRT6 master cylinder Alternate part number

Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT6 master cylinder Alternate part number

I'm having difficulty finding an OEM master cylinder for my 2005 SRT6 convertible. Chrysler is asking over $400 for a new unit. Does anyone know the part number used on the Mercedes AMG32, I believe they're the same unit. I may have better luck with Mercedes. Any assistance is great appreciated.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: SRT6 master cylinder Alternate part number

rockauto lists it for $99.89
look under 2004 MB slk32 AMG

Old 02-28-2017, 08:51 PM

Caution: based on my investigation, the lines on the SLK and Crossfire do not hook-up in the same location. What say you'all?

Old 03-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by RKC00
Caution: based on my investigation, the lines on the SLK and Crossfire do not hook-up in the same location. What say you'all?
I agree with you.
I tried to get a remanufactured part from a company which is well known, Cardone?
The part I got was not the same as ours even though they swore up and down that it was. The ports just did not match, a sensor position was missing, the casting was not drilled and threaded the same as ours, same casting though.
I spoke to a rep at Cardone and he assured me it was the same, I just love talking to people who say you are wrong when you have compared the parts side by side and know that they are different.
I ended up getting one from someone here on this forum.
So you have to be careful, the part I got was supposed to be for an SLK 32 as they had a listing for the Crossfire SRT that said it was the same but it was not.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-02-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Master cylinder failure is common so I am told. I had to replace mine in 2013. Chrysler did not have any and Mercedes wanted a $600 deposit. When they got enough orders, they would produce a run of them. Well, thats great except the car is not driveable until then. Ordered a rebuild from Cardone which with duty(live in Canada), core charge, currency exchange , worked out to about $200. It has worked fine since. The part # is a1113128.
Don't know if this is of any help.
Deanbob

Old 03-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by deanbob
Master cylinder failure is common so I am told. I had to replace mine in 2013. Chrysler did not have any and Mercedes wanted a $600 deposit. When they got enough orders, they would produce a run of them. Well, thats great except the car is not driveable until then. Ordered a rebuild from Cardone which with duty(live in Canada), core charge, currency exchange , worked out to about $200. It has worked fine since. The part # is a1113128.
Don't know if this is of any help.
Deanbob
Master cylinder failure is not too common by my recollection, failures here have been few and far between.
As I said above Cardone supplied me with the wrong part, the one you call up is the correct part, I have compared the OEM one that I have spare to the one shown by Cardone as part#11-3128.
(I think you have a typo on your post.)
This is the part, CLICK. The boss for the wiring can just be seen in the last photo, hard to see but it is there, that was missing on the one that Cardone said fitted my Crossfire.

The cars brake system has a dual zone braking system, the front zone and the rear zone. Each system is independent of the other so that if the front system has a seal failure in the master cylinder or the calipers the rear brakes will still work. The same thing happens if the rear seals fail, in that case the fronts will still work. Of course the rear braking is not so efficient as the front braking, most of the braking is done by the front brakes normally anyway, somewhere around 70 to 80% I think. The back brakes keep the back of the car where it should be.
Pedal to the floor when braking is not liable to happen unless the fluid has completely gone in the system or both front and rear seals have failed together. You might get this if the rear seals failed some time ago and you did not notice and later the fronts went, this could lead to a pedal to the floor panic situation.

Maintaining the brake system carefully pays, who needs the Adrenalin rush of a no brake situation, once was enough for me. Make that twice, the second time was in a rental car in Mexico, no fluid in the reservoir and no fluid at our destination so that meant a 50 mile trip back with no brakes, only in Mexico.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-04-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:55 AM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

So I'm considering a purchase of a Brake Master Cylinder. Last time I drove the coupe, I had that "spongy" brake pedal feel. Looking at RockAuto Website, they show for the 2007 & 2008 XFires, the rebuilt Cardone unit has the ports on the opposite side of the casting compared to the Master Cylinders for model years 2004 thru 2006. I'm in China on business trip so don't have the car to look at. And the 2004 SLK320 Master Cylinder looks like it aligns with that of the 2004-2006 XFires.

Anyone out there with a 2007 or 2008 XFire got the time to look at their Master Cylinder & let me know which side the ports are located. Make sure you give me a reference looking at the flange mount to the booster. Driver-Side or Passenger-Side.

I'll order one while I'm in China and install it before I leave for CAA8.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
As I said above Cardone supplied me with the wrong part, the one you call up is the correct part, I have compared the OEM one that I have spare to the one shown by Cardone as part#11-3128.
(I think you have a typo on your post.)
This is the part, CLICK. The boss for the wiring can just be seen in the last photo, hard to see but it is there, that was missing on the one that Cardone said fitted my Crossfire.
Per RockAuto, they say Cardone P/N 113096 is for my 2007 Coupe. The ports are located on the opposite side of P/N 113128.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 AM

Looks like starting with 2007 XFire, they switched to the Master Cylinder used on the M-B R171 chassis. Crossfires from 2004 thru 2006 used the Master Cylinder from the M-B R170 chassis.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Looks like starting with 2007 XFire, they switched to the Master Cylinder used on the M-B R171 chassis. Crossfires from 2004 thru 2006 used the Master Cylinder from the M-B R170 chassis.
I gave up on Cardone, they sent the wrong part and swore up and down it was the correct part. Amazing how people persist in saying that they are correct when in your hands you have the two parts that say that they are wrong.
This is my post from that time. CLICK
I changed the MBC because of the spongy pedal feel, the new MBC produced the same feel.

Personally I would think that your sponginess is curable with a brake bleed or preferably a complete fluid change.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 PM

FYI... I hated the feel of the brakes on my SRT6. I also have a NA Crossfire. The brakes on it feel fine, both are 2005. On the SRT6 I changed the Master Cyl and Booster to the same set up that comes on a 500 series Mercedes. Took some modifications. I had to reshape the connector from the Booster Rod to the Brake Pedal. The 500 Series is wider. A vise and pliers took care of the issue. I also had to re-route one of the lines from the master cyl to the antilock distribution block. I got the master cyl and booster from a low mileage car off e-bay. I asked the seller to include the master cyl brake lines, he did so I used one of them with some reshaping. Last but not least, there is not a true brake pedal adjustment like there was in the 60's/70's cars. But, there is a tab that rest against the break light switch. I adjusted it (bent with plyers) until the car would just move at idle in drive on level ground, foot off brake. Now my SRT6 brakes feel pretty much the same as my NA, Much Better. All for about two hours work and less $$$ than a true SRT6 replacement master cyl. You could try just bending the brake pedal tab that rest against the brake light switch so see if this improves the feel but I wanted to get rid of the Hard To Find, specific to SRT6 master cylinder. And, yes, I did a complete brake fluid flush.

Last edited by RKC00; 06-20-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Personally I would think that your sponginess is curable with a brake bleed or preferably a complete fluid change.
I would normally agree with you completely on this. But I performed a complete Fluid Flush/Change, when I installed the Goodridge SS Brake Lines last fall. Right after the task, I had a firm brake pedal; best in years. So now after sitting relatively idle for a few months over winter season (keep in mind, winter season in SC is only about 8 weeks of cold weather), I have a spongy pedal. I'll do a brake bleed all around when I get back from China because it's the simplest low cost (brake fluid) service to perform.

I did order a new master cylinder from RockAuto just as a precaution, with delivery expedited to THU, 06/22, in case I need to install it on 06/23. Hope it's the right one - fits the SLK R171 chassis.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM

I did order a new master cylinder from RockAuto just as a precaution, with delivery expedited to THU, 06/22, in case I need to install it on 06/23. Hope it's the right one - fits the SLK R171 chassis.

Thanks for the feedback.
Like yourself 180, the Cardone rebuilt master cylinder I bought from RockAuto.com was the wrong part. I received the part I ordered, but RockAuto's website lists the wrong part. I need the master cylinder that fits the 2004-2006 model years. Looks like the 2007 & 2008 model years used the same master cylinder as 2004-2006. Probably should have figured on that. Would have been unusual to change all the brake lines to the master cylinder with only a couple of years left in the XFire model.

Oh well, now begins the return process, which is a pain sometimes with RockAuto.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts

Like yourself 180, the Cardone rebuilt master cylinder I bought from RockAuto.com was the wrong part. I received the part I ordered, but RockAuto's website lists the wrong part. I need the master cylinder that fits the 2004-2006 model years. Looks like the 2007 & 2008 model years used the same master cylinder as 2004-2006. Probably should have figured on that. Would have been unusual to change all the brake lines to the master cylinder with only a couple of years left in the XFire model.

Oh well, now begins the return process, which is a pain sometimes with RockAuto.

I agree with the return pain with RO. I suggest you detail the differences AND if possible to include picture(s) of what they sent sitting next to the identifiable part in the car for which it is to be installed in (close enough to see the differences). I got full refund and reordered another brand of the parts they sent which was listed as an exact fit (not), for the issue I had with them (not an XF part in this case). Your case will be solid IF they sent the part they had listed for the car.