Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Fog Lights Won't Turn Off!

Old 08-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights Won't Turn Off!

I bought my car about a month ago and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I’ve had no problems until now.. After driving around town, I parked outside my house during the day time.. The sun went down and to my surprise my neighbor knocks and informs me that my lights where on.. I thought that to be strange since I never turned them on during the day. Anyways.. I notice that only the fog lights are on.. I checked the headlight switch and it is in the off position.. But the strange thing is the fog light indicator is illuminated.. Even with the brights on, the fog lights remain on as well.. When I actually pull the switch to activate the fog lights.. They just get a little brighter.. They only way im able to turn them off is to yank the fuse or disconnect the batt, I noticed that the fuse compartment by the door was hot and I could smell a faint scent of electrical burning.. maybe since the lights were on for such a long time. Anyways I disconnected the battery for now.. Has anyone experienced this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Fog Lights Wont Turn Off!

Sounds like there may be a short in the wiring. You should be okay with just the fuse pulled for that circuit, but I would keep a close eye on it until you trace the wiring and have the switch checked out. A good auto electric shop should be able to trace it for you.

A little more info about your car may help. Is it a base/special edition model that someone has added the fog lights? Wiring problems have been rare but electrical units do fail (especially the heated seats). Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Default Re: Fog Lights Won't Turn Off!

Thanks for the response Dan.. Its an 05 Limited Roadster with 34k miles. No prior mods. The day before the problem i had a magnaflow 16633 installed, i dont see any connection between the two.. Also, today i noticed that when I pulled the turn signal in for the brights, they dont turn on, but will activate and stay on when I push it in. Ill be taking my car to the shop on mon.. ill update with the results, thanks again!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am trying to solve the same foglight problem tonight on my dad's srt. However, 3 weeks ago it was his interior lights that would not turn off when you lock up and leave---although they would turn off if you start the engine and drive away. He had the battery replaced at the dealership, but I don't think they did any kind of diagnosis on the dome light. He just keeps the switch in the off position, which saves the battery but doesn't address the problem.

I'll be using the search feature to look for other threads on the issue, but if anyone knows how to re-set the system or knows of a fix, well feel free to post!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like these problems with the lights staying on keep tracing back to bad relays. Figure out which relay controls the offending lights and just replace it. When you remove the relay and the offending lights go out-it's a pretty good indicator,

They are generic and not very expensive.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:27 PM

I've been looking for several hours and have found no answers. The owners manual shows only fuses, not relays. The service manual seems to refer to a body control module ( a computer) and also an illumination control module (attached to the headlamp switch inside the dash) as being part of the system. I'm afraid a trip to the dealership is required.

I have disconnected the battery several times with no change in the problem.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Its going to the dealership today. Does anyone know the cure for this problem so I can help the dealer with the diagnosis?

I'll keep this thread updated for everyone's future reference.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 AM

A friend of mine a while back had a problem kinda like this on his crossfire. He took his to a dealership and they set a computer computer timer thing lower or something like that.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Dealer says it is the headlight switch ( illumination control module). Parts and labor come to about $600. Ouch. We are pondering our lack of options at the moment. I will probably try the Mercedes dealership and see if they sell the part.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:08 AM

Ouch. Heavy price tag dude. Yea, see what the Mercedes dealer says

Old 03-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Lightbulb Re: Fog Lights Won't Turn Off!

Try popping the conectors off the bulbs in the lamps. Only those are on when side markers turn off correct? If that doesn't work, 600 bucks for a new switch is better then 100+ bucks batts once a month. Mopar is related to this electrical switch faults. Check the late 90's rams and durangos switch. Is it related? Around the same time chrsyler got bought out by the ****'s. I've had em. its cheaper then a new harness trust me. Or you can redneck ur slk and disconnect them completely. My personally, i put a complete light bar on the roof so i can hit them deer at 148. FIX IT!!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Good news-- Dad has an extended warranty. Bad news-- the new switch won't work either. Mechanics are scratching their heads on this one. More updates as info becomes available.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by fastfunfor2
Bad news-- the new switch won't work either.
Mechanics are scratching their heads on this one.
More updates as info becomes available.

I wonder what the outcome was from this thread ??

Old 05-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VALK

I wonder what the outcome was from this thread ??
I know this post is over 6 years old but i couldn't help but Wonder if they checked the central locking pump mechanism in the trunk for possible water damage I know the interior lights and fog lights are tied into it as well as a number of other components.