Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Brake Light Switch??

Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Switch??

05 manual trans, coupe.

My brake lights are no longer working. I checked the fuses and there are no issues there. I was informed to check the brake light switch so I removed everything in order to access it and to my surprise, there isn't a brake light switch mounted in the bracket by the brake pedal/shaft. I ordered the part already and it definitely fits that bracket but there is no wire harness to plug into. I did some research and it could possibly be on the master cylinder.. I've never heard of such a thing. I looked and am unable to tell what it could be. Does anyone know where the brake light switch is located? Or even any info that might help me out here. I'm in quite a bind and I've searched multiple places even threads on this forum.. no luck so far.

If it helps, the tail lights/ reverse and turn signals all work. The strip on the hatch back and both brake lights no longer work.

Help please?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Default Re: Brake Light Switch??

Unbelievable. I have the exact same problem. I also took off the protective cover underneath to give a look for the brake light switch and find no electronics/components for a brake light switch . Is there some one out there that could please advise?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:05 PM

BTW I also have an 05 Coupe Manual. bought it 3 months ago and only has 50k (3k myself)

Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 AM

So I called a local Chrysler dealership to see if they had the BLS in stock. They didn't but said another out of town dealership had one or they could order one. Asked if they had a diagram/locator with the part and they weren't sure. Called the out of town dealer and they said they had one for $30. I made one last call to another dealership and they said the part was "blacked out" and dealership said they would email Chrysler to investigate the "blacked out" part #. Took down last 8 #'s of my VIN. Later in the day got a call back and parts guy said Chrysler responded to the email stating vehicle has no BLS. That it would require a new Brake Booster. WTF? Quoted $2100!!! Are you kidding me? The Brake Booster he quoted was everything including the master cylinder. Not sure what is needed but I'm sure I don't need a master cylinder? HEEELLLPPPP!!!:confu sed:

Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sfe63
So I called a local Chrysler dealership to see if they had the BLS in stock. They didn't but said another out of town dealership had one or they could order one. Asked if they had a diagram/locator with the part and they weren't sure. Called the out of town dealer and they said they had one for $30. I made one last call to another dealership and they said the part was "blacked out" and dealership said they would email Chrysler to investigate the "blacked out" part #. Took down last 8 #'s of my VIN. Later in the day got a call back and parts guy said Chrysler responded to the email stating vehicle has no BLS. That it would require a new Brake Booster. WTF? Quoted $2100!!! Are you kidding me? The Brake Booster he quoted was everything including the master cylinder. Not sure what is needed but I'm sure I don't need a master cylinder? HEEELLLPPPP!!!:confu sed:
Have you seen this thread?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...body-else.html

Might be some helpful info in there.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by noblesse oblige
05 manual trans, coupe.

My brake lights are no longer working. I checked the fuses and there are no issues there. I was informed to check the brake light switch so I removed everything in order to access it and to my surprise, there isn't a brake light switch mounted in the bracket by the brake pedal/shaft. I ordered the part already and it definitely fits that bracket but there is no wire harness to plug into. I did some research and it could possibly be on the master cylinder.. I've never heard of such a thing. I looked and am unable to tell what it could be. Does anyone know where the brake light switch is located? Or even any info that might help me out here. I'm in quite a bind and I've searched multiple places even threads on this forum.. no luck so far.

If it helps, the tail lights/ reverse and turn signals all work. The strip on the hatch back and both brake lights no longer work.

Help please?
This is a comprehensive answer (click) by James1549, try it. Your problem may be the relay in the underhood fuse box.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:09 PM

RL/180,

Thank you for your quick reply. I just recently purchased the car and love my part-timer. I'm happy to know it may just be a $30/shipping inc. to make the fix. I thought I had looked over all the threads concerning the problem. Thanks again for the links and your time. Hope I can return the favor. From possible storage in the garage till Spring to 6 more weeks of cruising.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 PM

UPDATE! Got the relay, installed it, on the road again. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Great news!

Old 02-02-2014, 12:19 PM
N.K

I have a 2003 auto crossfire and it also won't come out of gear. I have checked the pedals for the brake switch light, but no luck there. I have also checked underneath the dash by removing the plastic black cover and still no joy. I'm dire straits here as my M.O.T and road tax expired 2 days ago, is there anyone out there that can help me. Many thanks....

UK.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by N.K
I have a 2003 auto crossfire and it also won't come out of gear. I have checked the pedals for the brake switch light, but no luck there. I have also checked underneath the dash by removing the plastic black cover and still no joy. I'm dire straits here as my M.O.T and road tax expired 2 days ago, is there anyone out there that can help me. Many thanks....

UK.
Out of gear and brake light switch?
How do you connect these two as a single problem?

Old 02-02-2014, 12:37 PM
N.K

My auto gear box is stuck on park mode and won't shift. I was told it is the brake light switch...does that make any sense now....?? thanks.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by N.K
My auto gear box is stuck on park mode and won't shift. I was told it is the brake light switch...does that make any sense now....?? thanks.
No it does not. There is a mechanism that locks up the tranny. It can be got at by taking off the console and adjusting the mechanism. The brake pedal somehow releases the lock normally.
I do not know much about it though, it has happened before here though.
You can over ride the lock using a screwdriver in the slot at the rear of the gear change slot.
I'll look for a picture of that.
Go here for a pic of the temporary fix.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-02-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:47 PM
N.K

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Out of gear and brake light switch?
How do you connect these two as a single problem?
Thanks..I did use the screw for the override. However I need MOT and Road Tax for the car and it won't pass that. Could you please tell which console I need to remove to fix the problem...thanks

Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by N.K
Thanks..I did use the screw for the override. However I need MOT and Road Tax for the car and it won't pass that. Could you please tell which console I need to remove to fix the problem...thanks
Here is how to remove the console, manual transmission but it is the same as an auto. Your problem is under the tranny change mechanism.
Read this and you come upon an area where the gear shift is removed.
Maybe someone else can chip in, I have seen underneath but it is all forgotten now. See the service manual for other details, down load the Service Manual from this site here.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-02-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:03 PM
N.K

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Here is how to remove the console, manual transmission but it is the same as an auto. Your problem is under the tranny change mechanism.
Thanks.

Once I remove it what am I looking for to rectify the problem.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by N.K
Thanks.

Once I remove it what am I looking for to rectify the problem.
I have added to post #15.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM
N.K

Originally Posted by N.K

UK.
OK thanks...It looks too complicated...like u said maybe someone else can chip in. Thankyou for time 100 hundred much appreciated :-)

Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM
N.K

Finally I have got my brake light switch sorted. To keep it simple the brake light switch is located on the brake pedal upper arm...(you need to be on your back to see it). However after hours of trying to visually see it, (as I had located it) I gave it to my mechanic who told me, you need to be right under the pedal to see it.