Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

Wake up Buick !!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wake up Buick !!

I was sittin here watchin the Packers lose, and they showed a commercial for the Buick Enclave. When is Buick going to give up that horrible round grill ? They come up with some nice designs and then stick that round grill in it and ruin it. I have always been a Buick fan, having owned a 65 Riv, a 67 Riv, a 57 Caballero, and a 68 Wildcat. Buick has had some cool identifing elements like the "portholes" and the " Sweapspear", but they always knew when it was time for a change. C'mon Buick, wake up.
Just my rant for the day!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Wake up Buick !!

I have to agree with you, but I think it looks great on the Buick Enclave. BTW, I was watching the game as well. I think it was a great game. Go Bears.........

Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Forum Regular

I'm glad I'm not the only one sittin up at 0200am! It was a great game. I'd rather see Da Bears win that see the Vikings win. I'd harass you about it being 2 degrees, but it's only 12 here in TN. Freezin my butt off!

GO TITANS !!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Forum Regular

By the way, getting back to the subject, Buick has been using that oval grill since about 1988 ?? The Regal comes to mind.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wasn't Buick supposed to have some really hot looking cars debut this year? There was a post a while back. Think there was a two seater? Some really nice looking cars. I agree about the grill, enough already. Pat

Riviera was one of them?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 AM

I had a rental Enclave back in PA a few weeks ago. Really liked it. I also had a 1989 California Limited Edition Regal. Only 500 made for Cali market. Only came in white, with a body kit, special rims etc. Loved that all digital dash the Regals came with, and loved that grill. I'm going to check the 'net ot see if I can find one.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Buick has dependably made distinctive cars from the other GM Clones with different labels. With the exception of course of the earlier 80's boxes.

Sadly, they may go the way of the Oldsmobile line soon as GM consolidates down to Chevy and Caddilac.

Pontiac, another proud line, is already on the gallows.

roadster with a stick

Old 12-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to say i like the dodge bullseye grill the most out of any car makers.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Buick has dependably made distinctive cars from the other GM Clones with different labels. With the exception of course of the earlier 80's boxes.

Sadly, they may go the way of the Oldsmobile line soon as GM consolidates down to Chevy and Caddilac.

Pontiac, another proud line, is already on the gallows.

roadster with a stick
I always thought that GM should have dropped Pontiac instead of Oldsmobile. In my view Pontiac ceased to be the performance division when they began selling a minivan.

Buick is almost cool now to younger buyers and GM needs to market the brand to those who desire luxury with a touch of performance but don't want the cost and social status of Cadillac.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brent
Buick is almost cool now to younger buyers and GM needs to market the brand to those who desire luxury with a touch of performance but don't want the cost and social status of Cadillac.
Still, for the most part, Buick's are driven by little old folks & I usually pass Buicks as I do dump trucks, manure haulers & other 'road hazards' !

Old 12-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent
I always thought that GM should have dropped Pontiac instead of Oldsmobile. In my view Pontiac ceased to be the performance division when they began selling a minivan.

I can not think of any young people that think buicks are cool lol.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Not since the Grand National

Old 12-27-2008, 12:30 PM

Mr. Photoman, Go to China, well not really. They love love Buicks there. I think they are the yuppie car of choice. Yep, I know, Weird!

Now if we want to talk ugly front ends, how about Pontiac! Someone at GM thinks that has to be on every car. How about Chrysler? The concept Crossfire had that great looking headlight treatment ( I could be wrong on this) and then decided to "Chryslerize it" . These guys still don't get it. People didn't buy BMW's and Benz's because of their distinctive unchanging characteristic grills. They bought them because they were better cars. OK, I'll admit it some people bought them for the status symbol

Old 12-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 I wouldn't be caught dead in any Buick made in the last 25 years...............other than the Grand National. I don't see how/why GM hasn't ditched that division yet.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Cool Re: Wake up Buick !!

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
x2 I wouldn't be caught dead in any Buick made in the last 25 years...............other than the Grand National. I don't see how/why GM hasn't ditched that division yet.
I went to the L.A. auto show the year last year and Buick was the only exhibit that had absolutely no one looking at the cars. Then I saw an ad on T.V. that claimed Buick was a real hit at the auto shows. GM has always put too much faith in Madison Avenue's ability to con the public. I guess they still haven't heard about this thing called the internet.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
I would hate to see Buick get dropped. They have been a pillar at GM. Maybe they could sell it to someone with fresh ideas ?? Or how about hiring Mr. Stoddard from Hyundai ??

Old 12-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m sorry to say, but Buick has become your father’s Oldsmobile. My mother drives a Buick and most the Buicks I see on the road are driven by the elderly. The nitch market for Buicks appeals to the older folks. I hope they are around when I'm ready to retire the xfire.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
I’m sorry to say, but Buick has become your father’s Oldsmobile. My mother drives a Buick and most the Buicks I see on the road are driven by the elderly. The nitch market for Buicks appeals to the older folks. I hope they are around when I'm ready to retire the xfire.
Yeh! What is it with old people and Buicks. I think the GM models were doomed when they all became the same car save Corvette and Cadillac. But even Buick was available with a Northstar Engine this year and that sexy Caddy(SLR) is pretty much a rebodied Vette as I hear, so even those lines are blurring.

I guess some make had to take the place of the Ramblers and the old people unanimously choose Buick.

Last edited by Mr. Max; 12-28-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Funny you should say that. My grandfather always had a Buick and when I was 16 I bought his 68 Wildcat coupe. This is the car that got me interested in Buicks. It had a 455 and it could smoke the tires for what seemed like days ! I also remember a little car lot in Milwaukee that had a used 70 GS 455 for $1995 ! Itried to talk my mom into buying it, but no go. A couple of monthes later I found a lot that had a 71 Riv, triple black with buckets and console and a factory sunroof ! Very rare car. Tried mom again and almost had her, but again no go.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Funny you should say that. My grandfather always had a Buick and when I was 16 I bought his 68 Wildcat coupe. This is the car that got me interested in Buicks. It had a 455 and it could smoke the tires for what seemed like days ! I also remember a little car lot in Milwaukee that had a used 70 GS 455 for $1995 ! Itried to talk my mom into buying it, but no go. A couple of monthes later I found a lot that had a 71 Riv, triple black with buckets and console and a factory sunroof ! Very rare car. Tried mom again and almost had her, but again no go.
My Grandma and Great Aunt were Oldsmobile ladies. My grandpas were gone before I came along. Those Olds had a lot of giddy up and twice the chrome. I liked them as a kid. Still wouldn't mind a mid fifties Rocket 88.

Quick Reply: Wake up Buick !!