TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Poor AM radio reception and inop. GPS

Old 12-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor AM radio reception and inop. GPS

I am a new XF owner (since last Thursday) and I am having some radio problems. Some of you probably know the car as it was Terry Robinsons Alabaster Roadster. It has the Infinity AM/FM/CD/GPS radio.

I have found that I cannot get but one AM radio station to come in and not very well at that. I am in the DFW area and the only AM I get is WBAP. I can tune in and program all of the FM that I want.

I am also unable to get the GPS to program itself. It never can find any satellites. I am sure it has worked in the past as there are Houston area destinations already saved.

I have searched the forum and found some very old posts but nothing recent. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Toothpick

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Poor AM radio reception and inop. GPS

First go to wallyworld and get the radio removal keys (its in the car stereo section, has two different sets in the package) and take your radio out. Check the antenna plug to make sure it is installed. After that, the only thing I can suggest is finding another to see if it is working in your car. Might have just a disconnected antenna, or worse case a bum radio.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Toothpick
I am a new XF owner (since last Thursday) and I am having some radio problems. Some of you probably know the car as it was Terry Robinsons Alabaster Roadster. It has the Infinity AM/FM/CD/GPS radio.

I have found that I cannot get but one AM radio station to come in and not very well at that. I am in the DFW area and the only AM I get is WBAP. I can tune in and program all of the FM that I want.

I am also unable to get the GPS to program itself. It never can find any satellites. I am sure it has worked in the past as there are Houston area destinations already saved.

I have searched the forum and found some very old posts but nothing recent. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Toothpick
Dennis, with regards to the GPS, are you inserting the GPS c.d's first, before you try to operate it. I only used the GPS once, and it worked O.K. for me, but decided it was too complicated, so never used it again. Always assumed it was ME, Duh, Duh. LOL

Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Just for an update on the poor radio reception:

I got the removal keys, pulled the radio, and found that the radio was probably replaced at some time because the antenna wire did not have the correct connection on it. The unit also had the GPS antenna loose and unable to recieve any satellites. I guess that the radio could get a lot of FM stations but no AM stations without a good antenna connection. I found the correct antenna adapter and when I installed it the radio worked great. I even got the GPS to start working but it is so complicated and out of date that I do not plan to use it, I have a Tom Tom that works much better and easier.

Thanks for all the good advice.