TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Hatch air line replacement

Old 12-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Hatch air line replacement

Looking for something to do in the next few months I had the idea to replace the cheap plastic air/vacuum lines used to lock and unlock the doors etc, first to the hatch and then possibly to the passenger, drivers door and gas cap door.
The line to the hatch enters a bundle of cables just after it Tees of the passenger door line, I will probably cut this line and leave it in the bundle and add a line beside it.
Has anyone got any tips to make this job easier?
I will replace it with polyurethane tubing. I think it is better to do it now than wait for the existing tube to break and have the hatch locked or un-lockable.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hatch air line replacement

A nice write-up with pictures for the rest of us.
Thanks

Old 12-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave, That's a really durable yellow plastic line that feeds our vacumn controlls. I don't think you will ever experience a problem. Now the two white tinted plastic vacumn lines that's under our supercharger and the line underneith our battery tray is a different story. Mercedes sells a roll of the white tinted vacumn line that you cut to length yourself. Don't ever forsee having to purchase the yellow line. Squirrel Crusher

Old 12-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
Dave, That's a really durable yellow plastic line that feeds our vacumn controlls. I don't think you will ever experience a problem. Now the two white tinted plastic vacumn lines that's under our supercharger and the line underneith our battery tray is a different story. Mercedes sells a roll of the white tinted vacumn line that you cut to length yourself. Don't ever forsee having to purchase the yellow line. Squirrel Crusher
That durable plastic line often snaps where it keeps getting flexed and that is what causes the hatches and doors to lock up. This requires someone to crawl over into the trunk and remove trim to get at the lock.
There is a thread here that says the line used is obsolete for what it is used for in our cars. I'll find it, and here it is. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-27-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That durable plastic line often snaps where it keeps getting flexed and that is what causes the hatches and doors to lock up. This requires someone to crawl over into the trunk and remove trim to get at the lock.
There is a thread here that says the line used is obsolete for what it is used for in our cars. I'll find it, and here it is. CLICK
Wow. I clicked onto your CLICK in your message. Good reading. First I've heard of this problem. Granger also sells the anti chaffing sleave in rolls of different diameters that adds protection in rubbing areas. Squirrel Crusher