Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Blown Tire - and Wheel

Old 07-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Tire - and Wheel

Had a bad, bad, bad couple of weeks. On Thursday the 17th of July I had to drive from my home in Houlton WI (Just across the bridge from Stillwater MN) to the site of the Wolf’s Head Motorcycle Rally in Cloquet MN, stopping at St. Croix Harley-Davidson in New Richmond WI. A little bit out of the way but I was looking forward to the drive out of New Richmond on Hwy 65 North. Hwy 65 between New Richmond and Hwy 8 is a very twisty road with only a couple of straights; perfect for a Crossfire Roadster, and the weather was also perfect. Got about 18 miles north of New Richmond, came around a 10mph corner at about 20mph which was way below what I could have done, and “thump, thump, thump”, a blown right rear tire. Argh!!!!!!!!

I won’t bore you with the story of talking to Chrysler Roadside Assistance, only to find out that they do not cover tires, only mechanical failure. So then on the telephone to try to find a flat-bed to carry the car back to Bernard’s Chrysler in New Richmond where I had bought the car. They tried to find a tire but the only one in that size was in Chicago so they shipped it overnight. The car only has 8,000 miles on it but the dealer said that there wasn’t the required tread depth to get any warranty on it. Bummer. So the car was left overnight and on Friday morning at 11:00 a.m. they called to tell me that it was ready. Got there and almost fell over when I was handed the bill for $443.00. The tire was $262, then towing and labor. Ouch, but paid it so I could get on the road.

Went to my Rally in Cloquet and stayed at my business partner’s house. The next morning he came in to tell me that I had a flat tire. Sure enough the same right-rear tire was flat. I finally pulled the air pump out of the trunk, pumped up the tire and headed to Carlton to the Truck Stop/Tire Dealer. Sat for three hours on a Saturday morning while they tried to work it into their schedule. When they finally got it up on the lift they took one look at it and said, “we aren’t touching that.” Sure enough there was a crack in the center of the rim. Was a slow leak so I took my chances and drove it home stopping only once to air it up. I don't believe I've ever hit any more than a very small pot hole, and certainly nothing that could have done this to a wheel and rim.

Monday morning I went to Bernard’s and left the car. They gave me a loaner, MINIVAN!!!!!! The only car they had available. Coming home my neighbors pointed and laughed, when I got there my son pointed and laughed. Even my 11 year old grandson, who has never seen me in anything but a sports or muscle car, pointed and laughed. I’m sure his psyche is damaged for good. He will always picture his old granddad driving that monstrosity. The dealer called me last Tuesday morning and said that it looks like something may have cut my tire and hammered the crack into the rim. I argued my point with no apparent success. They told me the new rim would be $700 and the closest one (the Special Edition SRT6 wheels with grey centers) was in San Diego CA. Can’t be too much further from here. I told them to order it and if I have to pay for it I will, but still insisted that it should be warranty and that might have been what caused the tire to go down in the first place. On Friday I ran up there to photograph the rim and they told me they were expecting it to arrive on Monday the 28th and that the Chrysler rep. would be there also on Monday. They called me Monday to tell me that the wheel had arrived, and that the Chrysler rep. said that he would warranty the wheel, but only with “customer participation.” He only hit me for $100 which at that point I thought was fair. I also turned in the $141 towing bill to State Farm and they issued a check the next day. So counting the $10 the guy in Cloquet charged me to look at it I was out a total of $412.oo and I got my car back on Tuesday the 29th.

I guess I should be grateful that they warranted it at all.

And then... The last time I saw the car was when it was sitting on the north side of their building with one wheel off and up on blocks. When I picked it up and drove away I got about three blocks before I realized something was wrong with my Wind Restrictor.

I pulled over and gave them a call and they told me that they had needed that spot so they'd moved the car to the main lot. Full sun for several days with the temps in the upper 80's f. to 90, black top, black interior. Must have been like a blast furnace in there and it got hot enough to warp my custom Wind Restrictor. Oh well. Called Stephen at Wind Restrictor and he told me that the only other time this had happened it was to a woman who lived in the desert Southwest. They said, no problem they would replace it. I guess I lucked out again but from now on I will surely park in the shade or crack the windows.

Anyone else lose a wheel like this?
Sheldon

Last edited by Doyen; 07-30-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Default Re: Blown Tire - and Wheel

Not like that!
I hit a pothole last winter in the SRT & had a wee little crack in the drivers side rear wheel right along the rim edge. And this was one heck of a pothole.....came around a turn (sound familiar?) & surprise!
I've been on Hwy. 65 a decade or so ago & it is a twisty road. Typical macadam pavement though at the time there were some fairly large blacktop patches looming on sections.
Glad everything is back to snuff!
Hey, Stillwater is where I bought the Coupe! Can't remember the name of the place at the moment......independent guy, north side of the main drag through town......cross the river, take a left past the prison, another couple miles down the road & there she was, all white & purty.

Last edited by Kurts; 08-06-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Doyen and Kurts,
Nice to hear the adventures of some Wisconsin boys here on the forum. We lived north of Baldwin until I was 15 but after 31 years in South Carolina I guess I'm more of a southern boy than a yankee. My brother lives in the Spring Valley area, but I haven't visited him in 20 years.
Anyways, about those wheels. You said they have gray centers and are special edition srt wheels. Could you post a close-up of them from the outside? Maybe with a bit of a side angle to show all the surfaces? I'd love to see them. My srt wheels on the front are bent and we may have to replace them, so I'm trying to check out my options.
Thanks, and watch out for those white tails!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM

I do like the look of these wheels. Here are the photos:

I like them better than the fully polished ones on the SRT6.

Sheldon

Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why does the back end look like its jacked up?

MikeR

Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked at the dealership. Only one part number shown for SRT wheels. Do you by chance have a part number for yours?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 PM

Just checked my invoice and the part number seems to be: 5179179AA
Hope this helps. I really like the look of these wheels.
Sheldon

Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular

I hit a pot hole today on my way to school...one flat tire on the passenger side...and perhaps one in the front...had to have it towed out of the parking lot. All my students thought I had parked illegally! I'm not sure what the news will be on the tire repair or replacement. I'm just sick about it...and damn pot hole, we've had a tough winter....

Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by golfergal
I hit a pot hole today on my way to school...one flat tire on the passenger side...and perhaps one in the front...had to have it towed out of the parking lot. All my students thought I had parked illegally! I'm not sure what the news will be on the tire repair or replacement. I'm just sick about it...and damn pot hole, we've had a tough winter....
Can you file a complaint with the city or state. In Illinois, they will pay for damage resulting from a pot hole.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular

I didn't think of that..I'll check it out! Thanks!!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by FP
Can you file a complaint with the city or state. In Illinois, they will pay for damage resulting from a pot hole.
FP, do they really?!
I wonder what type of 'general fund' they have for that??
I remember driving through downtown (Chicago) a few years back & there were potholes the size of small states/countries. I spent more time trying to weave around them than actually paying attention to traffic.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurts
FP, do they really?!
I wonder what type of 'general fund' they have for that??
I remember driving through downtown (Chicago) a few years back & there were potholes the size of small states/countries. I spent more time trying to weave around them than actually paying attention to traffic.
They do. Just file a complaint. I'm not sure what insurance fund they dip into.