Thread: Speeding Ticket
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
xfire embrace
Thumbs up Re: Speeding Ticket

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Tim, sorry to hear about your recent ticket. It sounds to me that your sudden acceleration from a dead stop is probably what "sparked" the policeman's attention. (he probably thought you were "drag racing" the person next to you). If he had given you a ticket for "Willful display of acceleration" (usually what you would get for smokin your tires) you could fight the ticket by saying your "ESP" prevents that from happening.
It doesn't sound like he had an actual "radar fix" on you, since he didn't specifically say that he "clocked" you at the speed he wrote the ticket for. It should say on your copy of the summons how he determined your speed.
If I were you, I would simply tell the judge the truth, that you were in a hurry to get home and if your guilty of anything, it's probably that you took off quicker than the rest of the traffic, and that you don't deny you were probably going a little over the posted speed limit, but couldn't have been going the speed the officer "estimated" since the wing didn't deploy. (That's when you show him page 71 of your owners manual).
Explaining to judge that you just recently purchased the Crossfire, and that you're not as familiar with the car as you should be, (since your previous car wasn't as "peppy" as this one) probably wouldn't hurt either.
Being polite, and respectful, wearing a dress shirt and tie wouldn't hurt either. Good Luck.
Best advice.