Thread: Tire Plugs
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 06:19 PM
midnightman
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Plugs

While washing my car on Sunday evening, I noticed the head of a rather large screw embedded into the full thickness part of the center tread on one of the rear tires. Knowing better than to pull it, I brought it in to my local Chrysler service dept. late yesterday afternoon to have it repaired. (I have tire insurance, but subsequently found out the this insurance was from the selling dealer and not a Chrysler warranty and not covered elsewhere without red tape and jumping through hoops. Unfortunately, the selling dealership is not nearly as convenient to me).

While they were telling me that the computer did not show me having Chrysler tire insurance, they also told me that the tire was not repairable and would need to be replaced. I told them to forget the whole thing so I could find my insurance papers and that I'd be back. Once I got home and pulled out the papers, I realized what my insurance was all about.

So, last night I decided to plug it myself because I needed to take a 100 mile trip today on the highway and didn't want an ill-timed flat.

As it turned out, the screw head was large, but the screw itself was very average. I had never plugged a tire before and had some difficulty in inserting the plug far enough in and leaving it behind when removing the tool. But with some work, I seemed to get it in enough and stay in place. Again, maybe not as deeply embedded as it should be, but enough to seem fully sealed.

I took my 100 mile trip today and the plug seems to have held its own well. The TPM system has stayed unlit.

So, I have two questions...

1 - Considering the screw was located as described above, was the service dept. just lying in order to sell me a tire (which they didn't even have in stock)?

2 - I know an inner patch would be better than a plug, but is what I've done enough?