View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 01:15 AM
boohooramblers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What AMG motor is under our hood?

Originally Posted by Rydiak
Many people contest the "claim" made by DCX that the camshafts were changed. Several magazines have noted identical performance between the SLK32 and the SRT-6, which wouldn't be possible if the SRT-6 were indeed detuned to the claimed 320 hp. My brother, a Master Mechanic for Mercedes Benz AMG, says that it was in fact a marketing move by Daimler-Benz to keep people from ignoring the SLK32 and buying the much cheaper SRT-6 for the same performance. Without tearing my heads apart to measure the camshafts himself, he says everything between my SRT-6's drivetrain and the SLK32's he repairs at work appears to be identical. Take it as you will.
This may well be true - I wasn't trying to stir up trouble at all! In fact, stock for stock (generally), the SRT-6 autos fare better than ours (C32) in the 1/4 mile (even factoring in the weight differences).
I based my post on communications that many have had with Schrick - they seem to claim that the cams are different.
Anyway, moot point - I'm a big fan of the SRT-6 also - it's AMG all the way - just looks different on the outside!