View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM
BrianBrave
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 piece resonator removal

I had the resonator removed my SRT this evening. It came out really clean. Chris who did the work took the time to measure the dimensions for the Y-Pipe (actually a merge collector – wait tell you see the pics) and U-bend a week before the install. I made a CAD drawing for the Y-Pipe and sent it to Burns Stainless and there is now a custom part number for ordering if anybody would like to follow this route.

First the part numbers:

Burns Stainless
1013 W. 18th Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
949-631-5120
Ask for Vince Roman

MC2304-238-16
Merge Collector with two 2-3/8 flared inputs (3-3/8 center) into one 2-3/4 output – (16 Gauge 304 SS) - $180.00 (I hope the pictures do this part justice)

304-UB-275-40-16
16 gauge 2-3/4” U-bend with 4.0” radius 304 SS – no flares (stock item) - $76.57

Second – The Shop

Chris has a nice shop and still races ¾ midgets and once raced Speedway bikes with the likes of “Flying Mike Faria” and “Bad Brad Oxley” for those in the 70/80’s So. Cal racing scene. He had several midgets, sprint and other race cars at his shop and also some vintage bikes in various states of restoration. It was a cool shop to hang out at and I ended helping a lot more then I thought. The only bummer was that his TIG welder was down and he had to purchase some Stainless Wire for MIG welder. TIG Welds would have been over the top.

The job added only three pieces, the Y-pipe and the U-bend cut into two pieces and trimmed to fit.

The first cut was approx 2” behind the stock cross-over pipe. The heat shield bracket there was removed and the welds ground smooth so the stock pipes would slip into the merger collector. The second piece was one half of the U-bend that was butt welded to the output of the merge collector and turned 90 deg and slightly down towards the driver side. The second half was butt welded onto the first half and made the 90 deg turn towards the muffler and then butt welded to the pipe feeding the muffler. I should add that the 2-3/4 stock pipe that exits the resonator was cut right at the resonator and I mean right at it.

The three pieces were fitted and tacked up while I made sure the exhaust tips were straight and then the whole assembly (tips to the stock bolt flanges) was removed and welded up off the car, checked for leaks and then bolted right up to the stock mounts. The mount that held the resonator was re-used to support the rear bend.

I think it came out great, Chris (and I) worked until 7 PM and I was glad to pay him 3 hours at his shop rate. He definitely had the race builder’s touch, grinding and making sure all joints were flush with no gaps to wield. I love the sound of the exhaust, strong but not on steroids, throaty but not obnoxious.

More pictures in my gallery.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 09-25-2007 at 11:16 PM.