View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 05:32 PM
BrianBrave
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 3 piece resonator removal

Originally Posted by Maxwell
good job, Nice shop!!

Now you need to replace that goofy squashed oval pipe on the passenger side. and pull out the cats and plug in an O2 sim. then I want to see some dyno numbers! I like that merged collector, very nice quality.

Though I don't think it's necessary to have that H pipe crossover before the collector, since it does the same thing as the H.
Must have been the dirty hands and the flash, no squashed, bent or scratched ovals. I can't remove the CATS - Smog inspection every 2 years.

I did not have the materials to remove the H pipe, 2 small lengths of 2- 3/8 SS pipes with flares for the brackets would have done the trick.

Originally Posted by Haywood
Man, I want that set-up! I have a buddy with a lift in his garage. I think we can do this. Do you just buy the two new pieces?
Those were the only two pieces of material used. Just a welder, grinder and cut off saw for tools. No torch. You Might get a better price from Burns now that they have made a prototype.

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
VERY NICE looking job. But did he not reinstall a hanger where the OEM one was?
Yup - Camera ran out of memory at the end of the evening. (welded on back side).

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Excellent work! Top notch!

I too would be interested in what the performance difference is ... if any.

If none or minimal, then I'll keep the stock exhaust... I like my sleeper...

Cheers!
No noticeable performance difference. Love the sound, not too loud - just healthy - like it should have sounded stock.

You can have this upgrade done at 1/2 the cost if you are willing to use dissimilar metals in your exhaust system. Any Muffler place can bend/weld soft steel pipe. You might not like the look after a year or two or then again, it might not be important to you.

The super trick upgrade would be to find a shop that can mandrel bend Stainless, cut the resonator out and go dual 2 -3/8 to dual mufflers with some nice tips. But very $$, or you could go duals using soft steel tubes for the short run from the resonator to the mufflers.

My criteria was to add as few pieces has possible with the fewest welds, using SS material of the same size.

Off the shelf Y-pipes that I looked at would not fit/slip in at the dual pipes due to the spread and were to long to clear the differential and I would have needed more material.

So I gave Burns the drawing to fab up and it fit like a champ.