View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
NeverEnough
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking of buying a Coupe...

Originally Posted by Hqtrs
I rented a Crossfire convertible last year while on a trip and loved it. Couldn't get it out of my mind, or heart as I simply loved it. I'd like to get a hardtop but have some concerns:
1. expense of maintenance - I've heard it can cost $200 for an oil change (in the Washington, DC area).
2. was just told the Crossfire has been discontinued by Chrysler - will that have a negative effect on the value of the car?
3. how about tires - I suspect they are high performance and very expensive.

Mostly I"m concerned about a $200/oil change job.

Also, if I do decide to buy a coupe, is ebay motors good, or should I rely on my local dealer to locate it (higher price I'm sure).
Well, I hope I can influence your decision in a positive light. First off, the oil change is relative. The car uses 8 1/2 Quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 (yes 0 weight). It's hard to find in parts stores. The filters are about $15. So figure that you are at $70 for the supplies to do it yourself. Most places will charge you around $100 - $125. Any more than that, and it's a rip-off. The good thing about it is the car tells you when to change it. Most people will get between 8,000 - 10,000 miles between oil changes. So looking at it that way, overall it really cost about the same at changing the oil every 3,000 mi. with conventional oil. You'll periodically have to change the passenger air filter, which isn't too expensive. You can do this yourself for about $30. The Schedule B services are a bit expensive, $400 I think, but they aren't needed often.

As far as the car being discontinued, it hasn't been discontinued just yet. There will be a 2008. After that, it will probably die. I don't see how the value could drop any lower than it already has, which is a good thing for a used buyer. You can get a nice one under warranty for about what a Chevy Cobalt costs new. I bought mine through Passport Chrysler in Alexandria. I think they have a few around. PM me and I'll give you the manager's contact info. They took good care of me and gave me a killer deal and great trade-in value for my old car.

The tires are tough to get around. The factory Summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 2) are $$$! I think I remember the rears being about $380 each from Tire Rack. The front ones aren't nearly as bad as they are a more standard size. I really like the Michelin Pilots, but for the money I will replace them with Goodyear Eagles for a lot less and just as good a tire. I think those are only about $250 for the rears. You have to pay to play I guess. It hurts me to do a Burnout at the dragstrip everytime I think of the $$$ rubber I'm sheering off.

You need to keep in mind that this is a Chrysler in Name Alone. It's about 85% Mercedes Benz, and the 15% that isn't is not mechanical. If you decide get one( YOU REALLY SHOULD!) Go to Chrysler directly and buy a Max Care warranty. It covers EVERYTHING, just about(5007 parts). Buying from Chrysler direct(online) isn't too expensive and they have a 0% interest 12 month payment plan. I wouldn't buy it from the dealer, as it will cost more(they gotta get theirs) Go here: http://chryslerservicecontracts.com/index.php

You won't find a better, more endearing or more unique car for the money. Be prepared to be the center of attention. This car is so underappreciated, its sad. This is a GREAT car overall. They are generally very reliable. They can be expensive to repair once the warranty is gone, so I would HIGHLY recommend the warranty upgrade. If you buy it from a Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer, you can have it Certified for less than $500 which will boost the warranty to 8 years or 80,000 miles. Have fun, look forward to hearing which color you chose.

The other option to consider is a NEW 2006 car. Dealers are taking at least $10,000 of MSRP and it would have the new Lifetime Warranty.