View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 PM
07redroadster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Tires: Good, Bad, Dumb!

HI All,
I am new here and only had my new 07 Crossfire Limited Roadster for a couple of weeks (600 miles ago). I have the Continental factory touring tires (run flat). The Good is you all have Crossfires!, The Bad is the 19 tires are hard to find. (Maybe they are available on the web), but in Houston; Tx. I had a hard time today finding one of the 19 inch rear tires. I spent about 5 hours at Discount Tire waiting till I finally got 1 tire from north of town (yes I was south). (It was at another store and had been ordered by another Crossfire owner), luckily he agreed to let me have the tire and they ordered him another one <If it was yours thanks and let me know).
OK the dumb part. I was headed out early to go sailing. I backed out my car and lowered the top, turned up the radio and off I go. I noticed the yellow tire indicator on the dash, but was not sure what it was, I figured the car was warming up and it would go out. The steering wheel is in the way so I did not see it anymore. I drove about 30 miles on the highway and all of a sudden my car started bouncing and I knew I had a flat. Oh, that is what that little light was. (I said I am a new owner, but not new to the world).

Finally when they got the tire off, it had a wooden stake about 5/8 inch round and about 1 1/4 inches long in the middle of the tread. The inner sidewall gave way (run flat tires) and that is what made all the noise.

Oh the dumb part Yes I should have figured out what the light was. AND when I got back home two tread marks were in my driveway from when I backed out that morning. The wooden stake had been in my tire from the night before and I drove 30 miles with no air in the tire (or not much air). I was mad at first that the tire had already gotten a flat, but after I found out how far they went with not air, I was impressed. I am thinking about buying a back up tire to keep at home, has anyone done this? Are you able to find the tires locally where you live in case you have a flat?

Smiles,
George