View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 PM
BrianBrave
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SL55 AMG V8 Intake Conversion

]Last night I completed fitting and installing the SL55 intake system. Tonight I worked on fitting the SRT engine cover.

I purchased the whole assembly from Erick at LET MotorSports as part of an Airbox – Pulley – Iridium spark plug package. The Intake came to my door – with all the parts in OEM MB Boxes and the tamper seals in place.

Here is Erick’s website and contact info. He told me he was going to offer the intake kit at $320 but I don’t see it listed yet, so you should call Erick direct.

http://www.letmotorsports.com

First off let me say that this conversion does wonders for the car. I ran it hard last night and right from start up it sounded awesome and acceleration from standing still to WOT was tremendous. This conversion will provide all the intake air your SRT will ever need and still retain the stock look. You could add two K&N filters but I think the stock filters allow you to pull all the air that this engine can use.

There are already a few write-ups on the Y-pipe by Shawn, Simon and Steve so you can read their posts if you have not done so already.

Part # 113 090 01 29 - Y-Pipe with hoses
Part # 113 090 06 01 – Right side airbox with filter
Part # 113 094 16 82 – Right side intake tube (to radiator support)
Part # 113 090 05 01 – Left side airbox with filter
Part # 113 094 17 82 – Left side intake tube (to radiator supprt)

The boxes are huge and when looking through the opening you can see much more of the filter then the stock box. The intake tubes are huge – I could fit my whole arm in one and could not get my hand past the knuckles in the stock tube. Bigger is the best description. Easy mod is the second. Great look is the third. Low price is the forth.

After installing the Y-pipe I fitted the airboxes using the stock mount locations on the boxes and engine and noticed that the boxes did not reach the Y-pipe hoses. I thought about it for a bit, then removed the clips from the air boxes and just fitted the boxes into the Y-Pipe hoses to see where I was at. This moved the boxes back 1-1/2 inches and the two inner screws (toward the SC) that hold the top cover on fit nicely between the two slots of the intake manifold. (see Pic) I decided this was going to be the proper location. I could see that the engine cover would fit better with the boxes located here. You can see a tie-wrap in the pic that was used to secure the mock up while I measured. It was not used on the final fitting.

So I drilled a hole 1-1/2” forward and inline from the original rear clip location on the bottom of the airbox (both boxes), used a shim under the clip to keep the clip a stock height (easy to eye-ball) and to keep the boxes off the valve covers. Secured the clip to the box with a 10-32 bolt and lock nut (with the nut inside the airbox) - the boxes mounted and fit great. Very easy job.

I then made two brackets for the front clips now that the engine mount location is now 1-1/2" in front of the box. I had some straight brackets lying around from my barn building days that were the same width as the clips and was a nice fit. Measured and cut to length and then drilled two holes where the clip mounted onto the airbox and assembled (see pic) (same for other box).

Now the air boxes are firmly secured in place and attached to the Y-pipe. I removed the stock SRT plastic radiator intake fittings (both sides) and fit the right side intake tube through the opening (See Pic) perfect fit – no trimming required and slid the other end into the airbox. Done Deal.

Went to the left side and the discovered that the radiator support opening is a bit smaller due to the radiator hose – so I trimmed the tube back and made the mistake of making a straight trim. I should have notched it at an angle or perhaps heated it up and formed it to fit but the tubes are cheap and I will buy another and fit properly.

The more time consuming – but not too difficult part was fitting the engine cover. I used a dremel tool and made slots on both air boxes (where the front clips used to mount) for the ends of the cover but I need a spacer and longer screw for the center clip (the boxes are just a bit taller) and the hardware store is closed but from the pictures you will see that it will work and will look great.

Lots of pictures in my gallery and as always – if you have a question feel free to ask.

BB

Last edited by BrianBrave; 11-29-2007 at 11:05 PM.