View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Buck70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How Effective Is The Spoiler

Originally Posted by Brent
Wings and spoilers function differently but the end result is the same. First a little background.

The shape of the Crossfire mimics a wing and as a result lift is generated. In order to have lift you must first have a high pressure zone and a low bottom. Look at the Crossfire in would appreciate a basic primer.

How Chrysler determined the amount of downward force generated by the spoiler is beyond me. Part of the problem may be that it actually is a wing and is just misnamed. But from what I've seen of it I would call it a spoiler.

The gizmo on the back of the SRT-6 is a wing. It is shaped like a wing and is designed to allow air to flow over and under it.
The downforce generated is fairly easy with a wind tunnel and load cells. The weight of the car will change with different velocity across the car.

As for the other functions of the gizmo on an SRT 6, I suspect it was related to the higher top speed creating more lift, thus the bigger wing/spoiler/gizmo

The other thing it does quite well IMO is help the look of the car. I'm not hating the base/limited shape just think the SRT wing really cleans up the back of the car style wise.