View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM
HDDP
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: SCCA Solo 2 BSP build discussion

Originally Posted by soloIIracer
I am starting this thread for no other reason that to gain some knowledge about the high performance tuning of the Crossfire. A couple months ago I got the Crossfire classed in SCCA's B Street Prepared class on the same line as the SRT6 version. What this means is that you will be able to run the SRT6 motor with the NA coupe's 6 speed transmission. I have considered doing a build on my car for the 2009 season if things go well this season.

What the build would consist of would be the swapping in of an SRT6 motor or atleast installing all the parts on my NA motor that would make it an SRT6 motor. I don't know what parts are different on the engine internally or externally other than the supercharger itself and obviously the intake manifold. I would also install a set of coil-overs (probably custom Ground Control units). The big questions I am putting out there to everyone is are there any limited slip differentials on the market for our cars? Another thing I have no clue on would be heavy duty clutches and lightweight flywheel availability or would these all be custom pieces as well?

For tires I can fit what ever I need on the rear without touching the fenders so that is easy but the front fenders would probably need to be rolled and flared to fit a 285 on a 10 inch wide wheel with the proper offset to clear the control arm. Bryan's (Nocones) car weighed in at about 2,893 lbs at race weight in Kansas this year. I figure you could drop a bunch of weight in things such as putting in race seats, removing radio and speakers (wiring must stay according to the rules) and at the extreme dropping the air conditioning as well. You would be gaining weight when you add the supercharger system though. HDDP how much heavier is the SRT6 motor over the NA motor since you are doing a swap or are you not sure?

This is all just bench racing in the off season but I am curious as to what we can come up with for ideas.
Good thread...

The SRT engine is only 44lbs heavier...

I'm not sure it would be wise to just add the SC & IC to the NA engine... There are some significant internal differences to the engines that would probably destroy your NA engine in a very short time with the added HP...

I don't have time right now to go thru the list of things completely, but short story is the cams, and added internal oiling ports... The physical aspects where the the pieces connect are identical... The intake plenum on the NA engine can be removed and replaced with the SC and IC and it mates perfectly...

The clutch you should use is from SPEC... And they are going to build a lightweight flywheel off my old FW as soon as I send it to them for mock-up... They have offered to produce one for sale, but did not have access to an original to use as a template...

As far as the LSD, yes... Kleeman used to offer a LSD but not sure if it's still available...

Last edited by HDDP; 01-18-2008 at 11:09 AM.