View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Towncrier
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: can salt driving in winter really hurt?

My Crossfire is sitting out this winter in a nice heated garage while I squeeze the last few miles out of my 1995 Saturn SC2. One of the main reasons for my purchase of the Saturn (besides the fact that the car was purple) was the plastic body panels. I had had too many cars succumb to NE Ohio body rot. Little did I realize that the salt was still working its magic. The writing was on the wall when the engine cradle on the 1994 Saturn that I bought from my mother-in-law rusted so badly that the front wheels nearly fell off. The dealership that I traded (or should I say gave) the car to put stickers all over it warning others not to drive or tow the vehicle. My 1995 Saturn is now showing signs of engine cradle rot. With 144K miles, I guess that I've gotten my money's worth. The plan is to discard the Saturn around June when the registration expires.

I swear to take better care of my Crossfire, but I am still concerned about wet salty water getting into places in the suspension that I cannot clean. I hope to get as many years out of my Crossfire as I did out of my Saturn and will strive to keep the undercarriage clean.