View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
JonZoidberg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Tires

Funny Sam's Club Story about getting some new Eagles-

I bought my SRT6 used with 14k miles on it, and by 21k the 19" Conti's were dead- I guess the previous owner liked to peel out. The 18"s still have 6/32 left on them, so I'll give them some more time. I ordered these nice tires from the local Sam's club and when they came in I went to get them put on- the techs freaked, said they couldn't do it. They gave a variety of excuses and I eventually talked to a manager. He said something completely different. He said that they have a special machine that they have to use with tires with pressure sensors and it was broken, so they couldn't install.

Naturally, I wasn't taking no for an answer since the Conti's were bald. I told him I'd had several conversations with people since ordering the tires and nobody brought this issue up. I told him he needed to find some place for me to get them done. They tried local Walmarts, nope. They sent me a mile away to a private shop and I had to drive my tires there. One 19" in the back and one on the passenger seat- in bags, natch. The guy at the shop told me it was $40 apiece to mount 19"s and up, compared to the $10 Sam's would charge. No problem. I also had him load all 4 tires with Nitrogen for $12. I don't know if Nitrogen is a scam or what, but I didn't care. It came up to 96.66 with tax and I drove back to Sam's and they gave me 96.66 in cash. Didn't even dispute that I paid for services that included tires I didn't even buy that day, but whatever. Funny thing is, I never even paid for Sam's to install them. So, install was free and Sam's is holding the bag for warranty on work another shop did.

It was an odd day, but I got my new Eagles. I'll probably get the 18"s within a year.

Is nitrogen a scam? They say it will leak slower due to the larger molecules, but having not slept through 10th grade chemistry I know that nitrogen is a large component of the atmosphere, but they support it enough to guarantee it with unlimited free refills. I wouldn't have sprung for it if Sam's wasn't fitting the bill.