Thread: Ticking Sound?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 AM
maxcichon
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Ticking Sound?

Originally Posted by DJMAC94
Well, last night when I got home from work I started up the car...there was a slight ticking sound. I popped the hood and didn't see any evidence of a coil arc, no loose plugs wires, etc.....

I drove the car delicately until it warmed up and then really got on it around town. The car sounded good and couldn't hear any ticking. When I got home I parked it in the garage and left it running, got out of the car and listened.....no more ticking!

The only thing that was a little odd was that there was a slight oil smell? Checked this morning and no evidence of a leak or anything.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll sleep better knowing that the ticking sound seems to be gone.....just think the car sat too long.
Happy to hear!

2 things:
  1. The slight oil smell MIGHT be a leaking valve cover gasket. Search for threads on this forum.
  2. I have very good hearing and can hear the fuel injectors (high-pitched "tick", and many of them) when the car is cold. That noise diminishes by 75% when it warms up, at least in my car. I've isolated this sound using a stethoscope and mine is definitely NOT valve train clatter (lower-pitched "tacking"). It comes from the injectors.
Does this make any sense to others?