Old 03-08-2008, 12:10 PM
tom2112
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!

The cracks I mentioned above.

EDIT: I recommend inserting the knife blade into the cracks BEFORE you try to lever the case open. Without breaking the epoxy/sealant that is in these cracks, you'll have a VERY HARD TIME levering the case open.

ALSO: I have noticed recently that the original keys fobs I am seeing (from 2004-2008) are starting to become brittle with age. The original key fobs are coming apart a little easier, BUT almost every one I have done lately has cracked or broken in the process of getting it apart. So BEWARE: you probably won't be able to go back to your original key fob case if you attempt to open it up and swap the guts!

I have also see a new case crack and tear while opening it up. Most of the time it cracks or tears along the same lines as where I show putting the knife in to break the sealant/epoxy. After you reassemble the fob (and make sure it works) you can add a drop of crazy glue along the crack/tear to give it some added strength. But don't glue it until you know it works, as you won't get it apart again without destroying the fob's case.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
16_4_sm.jpg (166.6 KB, 1292 views)
16_5_sm.jpg (147.6 KB, 1216 views)
16_6_sm.jpg (164.4 KB, 1244 views)

Last edited by tom2112; 07-10-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: More recent information.