Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 PM
DICKBEE7631
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Auto Transmission will not shift into Drive.

Originally Posted by White/Cedar
My '04 with an automatic transmission is finicky and often will not shift down past neutral into Drive etc, it can be shifted into P R & N, after much rattling of the shifter it will usually allow shifting into Drive etc. This is real embarrassing after you have just backed out of a parking space. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem or is there a recall related to this?
I have the '04 Autostick and had a problem which prevented the car from shifting out of Park. The first time it happened, I had only owned the car about 2 weeks and was quite shocked. The problem was erratic...not always happening. When it did happen, my only recourse was to insert the flat wrench/tool into that little hole near the shifter and manually release the shift-lever. I have a Max-Care warranty and unfortunately the $35 switch that had failed (I think it's the switch that tells the tranny you have your foot depressed on the brake) cost me $250 to replace. The part, they claim, was not covered by the warranty. No problem since replacement of that little switch. Doubt it's your problem, but it is similar.