Old 04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
BrianBrave
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SL55 Setup Fact, Fiction or Matter of Opinion?

Originally Posted by SRT6 Gang Member
BB-
Hopefully Rob can come through with that test b/c it would be useful information and eliminate those variables.

Let me clarify the air box contributing to heat soak maybe I have the wrong term. I don’t know what the temp is/ would be on the stock setup. I have to believe that these larger SL55 air boxes heat more air (run hotter than stock), which is a bad thing, right? I’m wondering what temp the stock air/ air boxes are/ would be compared to the SL55 setup.
Gang -
I discovered my SRT was set to run way to rich from the factory - perhaps that's why I noticed such a huge change when I installed the SL55 intake. Perhaps your ECU is set to run leaner - Just a thought.

The SL55 intake allows for plenty of intake air flow for the MB V8 SuperCharged engines - I have no doubt it delivers for the SRT.

The weak point in any intake is the choke points. Unless there are radical bends in the system the restrictions will always be in the air filter. As we know - the SRT factory intake has choke points at the Y-pipe, the radiator support (you can hold these in your hands and see). The SL55 airboxes has bigger in-and-out openings and more space between the (larger) filters and the bottom of the boxes allowing for more airflow. I calculated this ratio to be around 25%.

Neither my stock or the SL55 Airboxes would ever get so hot that I couldn't place my hand on them and keep them there. I don't know why a bigger box would matter. Temp probes are made small to heat sooner- heat sinks are made large to heat slower....

I do know from testing with my IAT gauge that IAT's on the SRT6 rise quickly when you are at a stand still. I think Steve's fan mod is probably the best mod for the hard core drag enthusiast. I'll bet he drops his IAT's by 20-30 deg. while staging. I did notice that it took a little more time for the IAT's to cool once moving again. I'm sure it takes the coolant time to dissipate the heat - this is why a better pump and larger HE will also help (especially for circuit racers)

I wish luck and suggest you get your ECU tuned. Perhaps put it on a dyno with a A/F probe to see where your at. If you going to chase 1/4 mile times - your going to have to tweek a lot variables.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 04-07-2008 at 07:59 PM.