View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Steve Hellums
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: LET HE and Johnson pump install

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Playing around with the IAT gauge I installed - I discovered that the IAT's climb very rapidly when:

1) the SRT is stopped (or in stop & go traffic) - no air flow around the HE
2) when boosting heavy
3) the SRT is parked with the engine off (this is when heat soak really kills you)

During normal driving the IAT' are actually pretty tame. Once you boost hard the IAT's rise very quickly and once you back off and keep the SRT moving - the IAT's will come back down - but slowly. I have parked the SRT with the IAT gauge reading 99deg - go have lunch - return and when I start the SRT - the temps are up to 135deg and will take a while with the SRT moving briskly to come back down.

For the 1/4 mile enthusiast
1) will be staging
2) will be the 1/4 mile run
3) will be when you are parked waiting for your next run.

I think Steve HE fans are going to be a big help - or else you will need a seperate HE recovery tank that the coolant must flow through (not draw on like our stock tanks) - then you can drop Dry Ice into the coolant prior to your run and help tame those IAT's.

I know this isn't new info - Just something I confirmed with an accurate IAT prope and gauge.
Although you are measuring air temps & I'm measuring coolant temps, I've noticed the exact same thing. Just crusing town they stay low, but the minute you start getting into it the temps rise fast. I was suprized how fast they dropped though once you start heading down the highway at normal speeds.