View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 06:43 AM
cgocifer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of the ticking!

Ok, I know, this has been hashed out many times already. I've personally posted about it several times, but I just can't stand it! I took my car out today on a nice drive. The engine runs great and very smoothly. Actually, it is a little rattly feeling in low RPMs, but above 2500, it is as smooth as an electric motor. Well, after it is warm and I park it in the garage, I open the door and low and behold, the loud tick is there. It's on the driver's side and is most noticeable under the car. It sounds like a metallic tick, but could be an exhause leak I suppose. It is annoying and is a little embarrassing when around other car people who are familiar with engine sounds. I've heard time and time again that "Oh, I have that too," or "Yeah, that's normal," and even "Mine doesn't make any noise." So it seems as if quite a few of us have this, and others don't. To me it sounds like a bad lifter or a banged up valve. I've taken it to the dealer only to have been told that, yep, you guessed it, "They all do that, it's normal."

Just had to rant! I'm aware of the sewing machine sound of these engines, but I don't think this pronounced tick, tick, tick, tick, should be there! It gets louder as the engine warms, probably due to the oil thinning out.