View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 02:45 AM
chuck65
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: crossfire is a great car

Originally Posted by cgocifer
A big problem with the car was the fact that it had some serious competition at it's price point. For a similar price, you could have a TT, 350 Z (with lots more power), or an S2000. Most people would rather choose a luxo brand like Audi, or they wanted the power and history of the Z car, or the refinement and good reputation of Honda. For the unknowing general public, all the car had going for it was it's looks. Most people didn't know it was a Mercedes, it was underpowered, and it's main problem, it wore a Chrysler badge. See, many Americans mainly care about what other people think and what brand they are seen with.

I knew better, I knew I wanted an SRT6, but I too wasn't about to spend 47 grand on one, so I waited.
Branding is everything! Why would someone pay $69.00 for a knit short sleeve shirt from Polo Ralph Lauren with a pony on it when you can get the same or better for $19.95 elsewhere? I'm convinced that if our Crossfires had been marketed by Porsche they would have sold twice as many for 50% more.

I can't explain it but I have quite a few of those "pony" shirts in my closet.