View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
apleschu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Originally Posted by stlouistrucker
What was the conclusion and how will BMW fix the design flaw?
That is was considered to a be legal lemon and BMW would repurchase the bike. What I a trying to say is that in most cases it just does not make sense to continue to communicate with the first level telephone drones. Many a times you just have to do the legwork and go right to the top.

But I cannot impress enough if you do that just HOW important it is to be overly polite and completely factual. The higher up the foodchain you go the faster you can loose their interest and if you come across as a trouble maker, as a yelling redneck your letter lands in the electronic trash bin very quickly.

You have about 3 lines to get an executives attention and make them WANT to read your letter. If you miss that window you lost out and in that case it's YOU loosing out, not Chrysler. Or BMW as it was in my case.

I guess in the case of rusting doors one can easily make a case to get the doors replaced/repaired ESPECIALLY if you are still within warranty. This means: if you have rust, bring your car to the dealer and complain. Have them look at it, even if it very minor rust. Thing is: Once you complained it is in the system, and it is in the system exactly WHEN and at what milage you complained. In such a case documentation is everything. Because that is also something they will immediately look at in their system. How often was the car in the dealership and for what problem. If you brought the car to the dealership and demanded fixing a couple of times the times quickly add up. Especially in the first year(s) of service. You will have to read your states lemon law, but there are certain things dealers(and the manufacturers) don't like. E.g. In TX if a vehicle during the first 24 months/24kmiles is out of service for ANY reason and a serious defect still exists the vehicle becomes a lemon. Out of service means if you bring your car to the dealership and they have it there for two weeks before someone looks at it they just wasted two weeks of your lemon law timeline. There are many other and many more considerations, suffice it to say documentation (in the dealers systems) is everything if it comes to playing hardball.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer nor did I play on TV, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.