Old 05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
MMZ_TimeLord
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: New girl to racing needs advice from experienced racers

That sounds like a very successful outing to say the least. Yep, going slower to go faster always sounds kind of silly, but it's true. Do less work to gain more speed. Remember you're turning into a corner, not diving in. The least amount of turn to make the turn and then power out as you straighten the wheel. And... use the whole track... you paid for it!!! Lots of people have a hard time breaking the habit of driving on the right side of the track (or left in europe). Took me a while to get used to that too... and I still found myself not quite using the whole track from time to time.

Oh yeah, I don't know if they do a 'warm up' lap in XCross or not, but I have to keep training myself to drive the line I will drive at speed during the warmup lap. Very hard to do as the car seems to need more wheel turn to make a corner under higher speed. But, always try to drive the line you need to drive even at slower speed. Supposed to burn it into your brain I guess.

I'm so glad the brakes held up for you so well. Which porterfield pads did you end up running full race compound R4 or the street R4S?

Did you find the brakes stiffer with the new lines? I may well have to go that route this year too.

Most people at the track (regardless of 1/4 mile, XCross or road course) always seem suprised about the "Little Crossfire that could"

Cheers!

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 05-18-2008 at 10:47 PM.