View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 AM
chuck65
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: steering wheel shake (HELP)

Originally Posted by mlt
I have a shake in my steering wheel at about 65mph. I have had new tires put on and they have been balanced. Could it need rebalancing? Different tires..I put on ContiTouringContact CW95, they are speed rated to 168mph??
Does anyone else have steering wheel shake or slight vibrations in their car?? Mine is an 05 roadster limited?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
This is a very short version of a very long story.
Some stores only balance the tires statically, that is when you simply let the wheel and tire freely roatate until the heavy spot settles to the bottom and you add weight to compensate. Dynamic balancing involves spinning the tire and wheel at high speed to find out if there's any imbalance and adding weight to compensate for up & down and side to side. I'm sure someone could explain it better but I would ask how the wheel and tire were balanced.

Another accurate way is to balance the wheel and tire while mounted on the car by using a portable motor to spin the wheel. That method not only takes into consideration the wheel and tire but also the brake rotor assembly. With this method the balance is lost if you remove the wheel and tire and change the location or orientation.

Good luck and let us know what they did when you find out.

Last edited by chuck65; 05-22-2008 at 05:43 AM.