View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Xfirenorth
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Newport performance

Well I've gone through a few tanks of gas since the ECU tune. Now I feel more comfortable about expressing my feelings about the tune.

My Xfire feels like it is quicker. It seems to build rpm's faster. The tune has definitely added more "zip" for lack of a better word.

On the downside, my miles per gallon have dropped off. Could it be the tune or could it be my foot is heavier on the accelerator? My best combo of around town (75%) and highway (25%) driving was 26.5 mpg before the tune. Now I'm averaging 24 mpg.

I find the Crossfire to be a spirited machine that I enjoy driving more now than before. The nicer weather brings that out of me, and I find myself shifting at higher rpm's than I was when I first purchased the car. That may explain the decrease in mpg.

Would I recommend the tune even if it is responsible for less mpg? I would say, "Yes". Am I personally responsible for the lower mpg? I would say, "Probably". Would I be willing to keep my foot out of it and try a true gas mileage test over a 100 or so miles? I would say that could be a very difficult thing to do with a fun car like this.

Bob