View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Mike-in-Orange
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Curious about washing cars

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I read an article many years ago about detailing your car, and a few of the things I remember was they said not to use a "Chamois" because that stripped the wax off your car quicker than anything.
Don't know about a chamois stripping wax, but since there's no place for any little particle of dirt or debris to go, you'll end up dragging it across the paint with a chamois. Waffle weave microfiber towels are definitely the way to go for drying.

And a fluffy hand mit will help trap the dirt particles, and keep them away from the surface of the car where they could easily scratch the paint while scrubbing.
A good microfiber or natural sheepskin wash mitt is your best choice, by far.

Always start at the top, that way the soap and water will run down the side and help loosen the dirt before you get to it, and always use soapy water because it works like a lubricant as your "mit" slides over the surface, keeping it from causing fine scratches.
We had a guy come down to our Thursday Night Open Garage last year who had been washing his car with nothing but plain water and a small piece of towel, thinking he was doing the right thing. After 17 years of this his paint was literally scoured to the point we couldn't save it even with a heavy compound. Oddly enough, the people we talk to the most who think they're doing "the best thing" by washing with plain water are the guys with the super expensive show cars - Packards, Rolls Royces, Auburns, etc. I certainly understand not wanting to use traditional wash methods on these cars since water can collect in places and promote rust (remember these older cars don't drain as well as modern cars do), but not using a proper car wash soap to add lubricity is just plain silly.