Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Mike-in-Orange
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: When to use detailing spray and when not to

ANY mist & wipe product should only be used to add lubricity to the surface so that you can safely remove light dust, fingerprints and smudges. If the car is actually dirty, has been driven in the rain, or heavy dew has settled on an otherwise very dusty surface, then you're better off washing.

I posted a thread over at meguiarsonline.com about maintaining a swirl free finish. Basically I had detailed my 2004 Graphite Metallic PT Cruiser Turbo to total perfection prior to a car show in March 2007. In the 16 months since that full on machine polishing I've washed the car probably 30 times, and have used Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer on average 3 times a week. That works out to just over 200 applications of UQD!!! I've also waxed the car 3 times since then. When I wash I only use clean, high quality tools - a natural sheepskin wash mit, Meguiar's Gold Class car wash soap, two bucket method with grit guards or a foam gun and a single rinse bucket, drying is always with two or more waffle weave microfiber drying towels. Removal of UQD is always with a clean microfiber towel and I usually go through at least two when doing this wipe down process. Always a generous amount of UQD used as well. Bottom line - after all this time and all that "touching" of the paint, there is still barely a mark on the paint anywhere. Honestly, the paint on this car is far, far better than most cars I see at at even high end car shows that we sponsor. One of the perks of working at Meguiar's I suppose!