View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Brent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Testing the Landing Gear

While the plane is jacked up the emergency extension system is tested. When the gear control lever is place in the DOWN position the gear breaks free and the hydraulic system rotates the gear to their extended position. If there is a problem with the electric motor a hand pump can be used to extend the gear. Note that the hydraulic system is used by both the electric motor and the hand pump. So if there is a problem with the hydraulic system, not the motor, what does one do? Well, one merely uses a cane or other suitable appendage to hook the main gear strut and pull it to the extended position. Oddly enough, instead of opening a door in flight and attempting to wrestle the gear down, all the while trying to fly the plane, most pilots elect to belly in.

The first picture is of the handle to the hand pump. The handle telescopes and has been pulled out and up for the picture. It is normally stowed collapsed and flush to the floor. Note that the seats have been removed for inspection under the cabin floor. Also note the tuna fish can used to hold hardware, etc.

I included the last three pictures just to keep the first one company. An intrepid individual spent a good part of Sunday waxing this fixed geared Cessna 172. This same intrepid individual will for now on pay someone else to spend a good chunk of their Sunday waxing said plane. I deliberately upped the exposure on the one picture to better see the shine and that's why the outside view is blown out. Mike-in-Orange will be pleased to learn that Meguiar's QuickWax was used and a fine job it did.

Hey! How did that Crossfire get into the pictures? I don't know about the rest of the forum members but I think that a Crossfire and an airplane makes for a lovely couple.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lever.jpg (281.5 KB, 7 views)
Waxed.jpg (235.2 KB, 5 views)
Waxed 2.jpg (240.8 KB, 6 views)
Waxed 3.jpg (302.6 KB, 8 views)