View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
MMZ_TimeLord
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Tailgating AKA Following to close

I try to not be aggresive in my quest to get tailgaters to back down. Generally I'm close to the cars in front of me trying to get the idiots in the fast lane to at least go the speed limit. So when I DO get a tailgater, I simply make a bit more space in front of me on purpose so I have that safety cushion.

I will never tap or slam my brakes ever to get people to back off. Not worth it. I made that mistake about ten years ago and then had to outrun the enraged dork for fear of having a gun fired at me. Yes, even ten years ago it happened.

Generally I like to down shift one gear and let the car back down on it's own, usually the person behind me gets pretty close before they realize that I'm slowing down without brakes. Then they panic a bit and back off. They usually don't get mad as it's their own fault for not paying attention. But they usually DO leave a bit more room after that.

I have left my share of idiots in the dust... especially SUVs and Trucks where the driver thinks it's a sports car.

I have had the windshield washer thing done to me and yes, it pisses me off some. Most of the time I don't think it's on purpose as most of the people I've had do that to me have filthy cars.

And, I hope everyone here realizes that our cars... even the base and limited models can stop much shorter than most cars on the road today and WAY shorter than pickups, SUVs and larger trucks. Keep that in mind when you 'play' your games.

Everyone be safe and try not to be mean.