View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 05:18 PM
David Burns
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbo257
Thanks Matt, I guess its a toss up. I'll definately have it done "in person," that way I'll know it works when I leave the shop and once its done I don't think I'll have any problems. I worry about the ECU getting damaged if I ship it. Don't know what a replacement ECU costs, but I bet it isn't cheap.
Well, there's that of course, plus your car is F.O.R.D.-dead until the ECU comes back. Being a daily driver, I couldn't take that chance when I was looking at chipping mine. Didn't know about SpeedTuning back then, I only knew of Upsolute, RennTech, and PowerChip. Upsolute was local, others were via mail.

I had a similar experience to you with one local Upsolute rep though. I called and emailed the Upsolute Woodbridge rep and never heard back. The Upsolute Fairfax rep emailed me back right away, got the data file from Sonny (the guy Wes Michaels used), and I had mine done in under a week later. The process took about 15 minutes, then he had me take it for a test drive without even asking for payment or a credit card # or anything (I coulda just drove away and all he'd have was an email address). Needless to say, I was impressed and satisfied and happy to pay. He's since offered me 1/2 price for custom intake and custom exhaust systems if he can prototype with my car, but I'm more concerned about warranty there than with a ECU re-programming (those changes would be highly visible and OBVIOUS any time I took car in for service). Probably after my 3/36 warranty runs out I might do something.