View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Kurts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: White smoke when car started

Originally Posted by darice57
Wondered if anyone else has experienced this or has an opinion. This has happened twice under the same circumstances. In the morning I start the car and run it long enough to move it from the driveway to the street, so my roomate can get out. A little while later I go to leave myself and when I start the car a good amount of white smoke comes from the exhaust. It doesn't continually smoke, just one cloud of it when the car is started the second time and I don't observe anything out of the normal in the running of the engine. Again, I've only noticed this on those occasions of starting it briefly to move it and then again a little later to be on my way. Any thoughts are appreciated.
It's condensation.
Much more noticable when its humid or when it's cold. Winter is a great time to see just what's blowing out your pipes .
Since this only happens in the morning AND it isn't noticeable after that all you're doing is burning off the moisture that's collected during the evening; like dew on the grass in the morning. The same thing happens to cool metals at night. Makes sense too that it seems worse after the initial start, you haven't heated the pipes enough to burn everything off at first but you have got them warm enough to pull additional moisture out of the air. Then you start it again & all the original what's-left-over moisture plus all the new stuff you've collected burns off in one big poof!
BUT, if you notice white smoke while driving or after its warmed up then I'd be concerned & start to think about valve gaskets or cracked heads, etc.