Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 AM
240M3SRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Running wide rear wheels/tires, really need your input...on spacers, wheels, tires

I want to fit the widest tire/wheel possible in the back. If i can fit a 335 back there i will. Basically there are 2 ways i can think of to add width:

1. widen the wheel..duh.
2. push the wheel out further so it can be wider and not hit the inner suspension/frame.

In a perfect world the car would be designed to accept all the width on the inside without having to push the tire out past the fender(viper, vette). But we dont enjoy that privilage. A few concerns...

It appears the first place the wheel/tire will hit as it moves inward is the frame(about 1" of clearance). IIRC its about 9'oclock on the wheel if your looking at the driver side, in the front part of the inner wheel well. I think it could be banged in with a hammer for more clearance without hurting anything. The next place of contact seems to be the strut itself.

My other idea is to not only widen the wheel but push it out further(lower offset). Will the wheel(now sticking out far) and rear quarter panel hit on a bump at highway speeds or around a hard turn? You see mustangs running around all the time with this setup but ive never looked closely at their fender. We have a huge gap and really stiff springs on our srt6's. I also dont mind rolling the lip in on the inside of the quarter panel but im talking about going so wide i think thats negligable.

Id really like to just keep and widen our factory rear wheels. They are 19x9. I can have up to 3" of width added for $250 each. Thats a 19x12
Question is to push the wheel out far enough ill need spacers. Ive never been big on the idea of spacers but i used them on my SRT4 at the track with no problems. What about welding them on the wheel to make it all one piece? For some reason the guys who widen the wheels recommended against spacers.

So what does everyone think about all this?