View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 PM
meshcraft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: steering / ignition locking

I have info you guys may not be aware of on the Crossfires.
This concerns those that have issues where the key won't turn in the ignition and how I fixed it for free (except for car rental during that time). This info really should be a sticky.

I had an issue where the key would not budge in the ignition and I could eventually get it. Also the BAS ESP light would come on periodically. I came online and read about replacing the ignition lock cylinder and gasping at the potential $700 cost. I had the exact same issue and fixed it for free.

I'm not sure which thing actually fixed it but here's what I found out...

I noticed water had probably gotten into the fuse box so as a try I replaced a few of the fuses like the speed sensor, anti-theft..etc. I had the car in the dealer's service drive when I replaced those fuses and the ignition worked again. The BAS ESP light still came on so I kept it in. Ultimately the BAS ESP light simply had to be re-set and that fixed everything. They didn't charge me anything. Very good service at Mission Chrysler in San Antonio, Texas. They have always been great. So the point is that some of you who have spent or will spend $700 on a new ignition may be getting jipped so do what I said before replacing that part.

Speed sensor, anti-theft and I forget what other fuse I replaced and then reset the BAS ESP light and it was fixed.