View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 PM
BrianBrave
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Aero blew a gasket... literally!!

In my "Tale of Three Dyno's" thread - I mentioned that this happened me on one of the dyno runs. I wasn't sure if I left the stick partially out, or if the operator, when looking for a place to mount his tach light (VS a plug wire) had knocked it loose or what but the same thing happened to me. What a mess.

When I went to the Corvette shop the next day; I related this experience and they said it has happened to them before (650+ HP Vettes!!). When they looked at my dip-stick it was very sloppy and lifted with the least touch. They made a little crimp on the tube above the o-ring. For added protection against splewing oil in Andy's dyno bay - they also wired the stick to the post attached to the valve cover -- but with just enough slack to let it raise a little.

Three 350HP+ dyno runs later - not a mm of movement. They suggested a thicker o-ring. I have since run it hard several times with no issue.

I do believe installing the oil-air separator and blocking off the larger vent port on the intake "Y" and the valve cover aided this at WOT, but I don't think it's a big issue to overcome.

If I were at the track - I would wire or secure the dip-stick to prevent any possibility of fouling the track and having the wrath of ………....