View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
rcompart
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: KeylessGo on the Crossfire

Originally Posted by seannon
well, the switch... external... if you can mount a clear window on the inside of the handle, then you should be able to mount a LED/camera from a mouse that can be made waterproof to the extent of what you are doing... that would be a pretty reliable switch... just need a circuit to let whatever controller know the circuit is open or closed, (possibly by transistor?) as for the steering wheel locking. I have not seen the parts themselves, but the general method for that is a pin directed into the column... that as I have seen on other posts other people have found to be a problem, and have either shaved, or removed it... now when I said "Keep as much of the original system as possible" the locking pin would be in my opinion "Expendable" and the system should bypass when necessary the factory remote coding, but allow the factory key and remote to work... BTW... I set up a computer last night to use the bluetooth proximity detector as I mentioned earlier... and so far so good... I can tell it how far away I want to be able to get before it locks up, and how close I want to be in order for it to unlock etc... I also know there are kits etc for micro computers etc that could be used for controllers... the other option there though would be an old laptop with a damaged screen, that could be cannibalized for a controller... would just need to get an appropriate dc-dc convertor... if the computer is new enough to boot from USB, then the OS could be run from a key drive this would save a good bit of power, but the drive may need to be replaced once in a while, but taking that would disable the system (leaving for the weekend, leaving at a shop etc...
Problem with a real proximity switch that you'd use in this application is that our doors are metal and they don't like metal unless you get the ultrasonic ones which are too big and too expensive to put behind the door. The optical deal isn't' even an option as you're repainting the door to make it work since it won't fit in the handle. The bluetooth thing sounds cool and all but I'm telling you from first hand experience, they're not worth the frustration they will give you in the future. Try this on for size, your phone resets itself and loses it's memory or worse, you lose your phoen or someone steals it. All your bluetooth settings are gone. Not gonna get in the car. Another thing is needing a computer to run it. Not too huge of a deal but it needs to be taken into account. At that point, having a computer in your car opens up a whole new set of things you can do and that can go wrong. Not shooting you down and if you want to go that route, I'll be moer than welcome to help you with whatever parts of your system you need help with but I would stay away from it. We want to make this kit something you're going to use every day and not be a novelty that you wow your friends with a few times and then quit using because it's a pita. That means it needs reliablity taht is really high too. Like almost 100%. I only want to be using the key for if I forget my fob.