View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 02:48 PM
bogieman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 mph rear end noise and the dealer

Well, I have the rear end whine at 80 mph. Stops immediately when I let off the gas and starts back immediately when I reapply the gas. Went to the local dealer and they have one XFire tech. Took him for a ride, and when the noise starts, he turns up the fan and turns on the radio. He says Chrysler has a noise limit and if you can't hear the noise with the radio on and the fan on it is not loud enough.
Well, when we still heard the noise, he said it was gear whine and alot of cars have it. I proceeded to tell him I had never had a car with it and then what I had read on this forum and he asked me what were other dealers doing about it. I told him "complete change of the rear end" then he said to bring it in and he would look at the differential.
The really scary thing is he talked about checking backlash and clearances and it sounded like he wanted to tear into the rear end. He then told me if he did, the sound could get worse.
What is the best way to handle this? I would like to be prepared before I take it in.
They are also going to look at my hazed up head lights. Funny, I have a 2005 Ram that is in the weather all the time and they still look like new.