View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Forza1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Of Long Posts and Superchargers...

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
Found my own answer its a 1.6L. but that goes back to my point why not shoe horn a 2.3L or bigger compressor in there it seems many might be looking for more than the 1.6L can give them.
I was just going to make a separate post on this altogether! I'll just stick it in here:

The first thing I researched once I found out we're outgrowing the stock supercharger is a post and polish of the S/C. This isn't possible though because the Lysholm unit has teflon coated blades. Now, looking at the Lysholm website(link above) we have a few options. Firstly, lets put our flow requirements into perspective:

A 2.8l whipple is a hot upgrade for the 4.6l 2003/2004 SVT Cobra motor. I would like this performance from our cars. So, 2.8/4.6 = .6086 This is our multiplier. Our engine is 3.2l so 3.2*.6086 = 1.94l or roughly 2l displacement from the blower. A 2.3l blower(like the lysholm options would be 2.3 / 3.2 = .71875 or the equivalent of a 3.3l blower on the 4.6l cobra motor. You would NOT want to go larger than this.

Looking at the blueprints of the LYS2300AX on the Lysholm website, I think it would work. Everything should right up the same, the only difference is that it is 50mm, or 1.98" longer than our blower. Height is the same, etc... The intake area might get tight around the firewall though. Another solution is the LYS2300R which has the intake on top(can you say more flow?). Same size as our blower, but may not fit under the hood because of the intake pipe that would now be going into it from the top. 2" hi-rise hood should fix this(or just cut it out like some of the vette guys with magnuson chargers).

Waldig, you have to remember that a larger supercharger is about airflow, not pressure. The LYS2300AX above will flow the same amount of air at 10-12 psi that you're flowing now at 21psi. And it will be using less horsepower because its in its efficiency range. So we have to upgrade the fuel pump to a Walbro 340, or swap injectors for say C63 Amg ones? We're talking less than $1k here. Good tuning will keep the fuel economy in check.

Lets ALL remember also that we are blessed with FORGED engines. I think 450-500rwhp on PUMP gas is certainly possible with the right setup. Switching to a turbo would overcome a lot of the obsticals we're seeing here, and allow a FMIC too. Think of the possibilitiess.

I'd also like to point out that as waldig said, a set of gears might be a good idea, although it seems that everyone is traction limited here(I haven't seen any posts of anyone running say a 275x60x16or17" slick). The stock wheels are also 59lbs with tires mounted. Flik makes very inexpensive wheels that are lightweight, and 17", might want to start there. Every lb of rotating mass is equal to 8lbs of static mass. drop 20lbs off your wheels and it's like dropping 160lbs from the car. The Porsche 911 GT3 even uses titanium lugnuts for this reason.

Another thing I've noticed is that I haven't seen anyone with an upgraded torque convertor. This makes a BIG difference in automatic cars at the drag strip. Much better 60' times which equates into faster ETs. I don't have any experience with torque convertor sizing in Supercharged cars, only turbocharged, but I would say something around 2800RPM should put a high 11-sec car into the mid 11's.

Food for thought.

-D