View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Mike-in-Orange
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Sick of hazy headlights?

John, I've never used any Janvil products so I can't make any direct comparisons. I have used different Meguiar's compounds designed for paint and they've worked well on headlights. Whether wet sanding or not, using a rotary buffer or D/A, I've gotten good results with all sorts of different products.

You have to keep in mind that from the perspective of the average consumer, they don't want to go to a specialty store (auto body paint supply, for example) and spend $30 on a bottle of compound that needs to be machine applied just to take the haze out of their headlights. Hell, the general public wants something that you apply like a wax and let it just sit there to magically remove the haze. Of course, that ain't gonna happen. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, or polish a headlight, and Meguiar's headlight restoration kit makes it really easy. But if you like wetsanding and buffing, go for it. So much of it is technique and following directions - use ANY product wrong and you won't get results. Period.

And I just have to ask - you ran a rotary buffer at 3,000 rpm on your Crossfire!!!! Yikes, you are a brave soul!! My car sat on a dealer lot for almost two years and was a mess when I got it, and the D/A really wasn't doing much on this very hard paint. I got rid of everything using my rotary and a wool pad with M105 Ultra Cut Compound, but never ran higher than 1200 rpm.