View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Bladecutter
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler's official responce

Originally Posted by Scottw60
I think you all (or at least most) missed the point that Chrysler should concentrate on cars that are more appealing and better made than cars like the Sebring for example. I traded in a '98 Sebring to get the crossfire, that car was better than the '08 that I drove a few weeks ago when the xfire was in the shop, but the quality of manufacturing on the crossfire if far superior. Chrysler didn't learn anything by being married to DB!

To clarify I do expect them to change their minds because of what we write, but we can turn some heads, and possible point Chrysler in a direction that will make them a better American car company!
I don't think you are seeing the big picture that the manufacturer has to deal with:

They need to make a profit in order to stay in business.

Yes, the Crossfire is a better designed and constructed vehicle, that used considerably higher quality components than the Sebring. Because of all the higher quality components used, and the higher quality workers that put the Crossfire together, the Crossfire is then a much more expensive vehicle to produce.

So, you have to choose between two cars to produce and sell:

Crossfire - Lets say it costs $15k to assemble, and sell to the public.
Sebring - Lets say it costs $8k to assemble, and sell to the public.

Now, the customer shows up at the dealer, and can only buy a $17k car.
Would you, as the manufacturer, prefer to sell a car to the customer that costs you $15k to produce, or one that costs $8k to produce?

That's why the Crossfire is doomed to the likes of the Sebring.

Another thing to remember:

As bad as the Sebring is, people are still buying them.
Why? I'll never know. I know they are paying more for those things than some of its much better quality, and similarly priced competitors.

BC.