View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Heb80
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Proble with 6spd drivetrain

Originally Posted by TSaxMan113
Heb80, it does sound like we're experiencing a similar (if not the same) thing. My thud, to me, seems excessive. It's not usually just a single sound that I hear, rather, it's almost like a reverberation of sorts - there's the initial thud and several smaller ones after that.

This gear box is very sloppy, though. It's scary to think that DCX has plans for using this exact same 6-speed in future models.
Those thuds, or as I would call them "clanks", is the slop inside the drive line.

For those of you not familiar with what I'm talking about, it is similar to the clanking associated with bucking a manual transmission car when someone is learning to drive stick.

The transmission in this car is sloppy, combine that with the fact that we have a very low 1st gear, and you have a situation requiring very smooth clutch operation by the driver.

I've driven cars that were so smooth that you couldn't get the car to buck if you tried. Our clutch grabs very tight and therefore takes some getting used to.

That's my $.02.