View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 01:45 PM
ppro
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second Time!

I changed the oil and a couple filters (air and oil) yesterday. I am so glad I got this unit. It was almost ridiculous how easy the job was. Crank up the compressor, slip the tube in the dipstick tube, and let her rip. While the oil was evacuated I replaced the filter. Not a drop of oil anywhere, and done in about 15 minutes. This is great!

Originally Posted by ppro
I liked the idea of this so much I got the unit. What a dream! I had to make a little jumper hose to connect it to my compressor but that was no big deal.

More

Man! You just turn on your compressor until it comes up to pressure, slide the probe down the dipstick hole, crank it open and the oil just sucks into the holding tank! No more jacking, plug removal, draining, spilling, etc. I did it wearing casual business clothes and mechanics gloves.

More here

I used FRAM filters for the cabin and engine air filters but bought the K&N oil filter (probably made by Mann). If you do some research you will find that FRAM doesn't have a great reputation when it comes the the quality of their oil filters. The thread-on ones that are inside a sealed metal case don't have all the best elements of construction and fail in pretty bad ways.

At the same time, the Mercedes engine air filter I removed looked identical to the FRAM engine air filter that I put back in. The FRAM Fresh Breeze cabin air filter that replaces the Mercedes one actually looks better. Perhaps given that you can actually see the oil filter element for these cars, FRAM filters would not have the same problems of the self-enclosed FRAM filters, though I would want to know of what material the filter was made.

Anyway, thanks for the excellent tip on the oil extractor. I have four differentials, two transfer cases and another engine that will benefit! All without the usual B.S.