Old 11-30-2003, 01:11 PM
kusheen
Default what you see is what you get...

Re the advertised price of $29,995 for a new XFire. I know the dealer, almost bought my car from that dealer. A good friend is a finance officer for that dealership.

It's on the up and up. $29,995 for the car, plus taxes/tags. No other add ons, and with the auto being the only option, not much wiggle room on the dealer's part to get you into the showroom to then upsell. I doubt he's throwing in free oil changes, though.

The cars are not selling well in Baltimore. Check that, they ARE selling slowly, but several have been folks taking them out of state where the dealers either don't have them, or they are standing firm on the price gouging.

I still say the biggest drawback with the car is Chrysler's total inability to give it some recognition/identity. The R & T article helped, but how many people that you know really read R & T or similar mag?

Had a guy here today to buy my Pathfinder. Drove up in a nearly new Chrysler 300M. He knew what the Crossfire was, enjoyed looking it over, but had NO idea what engine it had or the German engineering connection. In his head it was 'just' a Chrysler, and thought it had the same engine as in his car.

Another lady I worked with found out I have one. She said she LOVES the car and wanted one the first time she saw one (summertime). She said her husband called the dealership and was told the car was $42K.

They said no way they'd pay that much for a Chrysler, no matter how nice it looks.

She told me this story just last week, and I told her about the Mercedes running gear, and she did not know that.

We can say that WE all know/knew that, but the 'average' buyer out there hasn't made the connection, and I think you can point the finger directly at DC.