Old 12-19-2004, 10:08 PM
AlvinByars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

So … why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

I have been visiting this forum almost daily for the last couple of months. I find it most enjoyable and quite entertaining, and although I know none of you, I feel a kind of closeness to all of you. Among the most entertaining of the posts on this forum are the comparisons between the Crossfire and other automobiles, such as the RUF Porsches, entertaining to the point of silliness. So, I thought I would make some comparisons of my own and ask why the heck did you buy a Crossfire?

I regularly drive four automobiles: my Crossfire, of course, an Oldsmobile LeSabre, a somewhat modified Jeep Wrangler rolling on some fairly serious rubber, and a Dodge quad-cab four-by-four also rolling on some fairly serious rubber.

So how does the LeSabre compare to the RUF Porches? Well, there are times when you just want to kick back on a big comfortable sofa and cruise down the road with one finger on the steering wheel, totally unaware of all those bumps, and grooves and broken pavement on the highway. Try that in those firm, laterally supportive seats of a Porsche with all that wonderful feedback through the steering. When I am behind the wheel of the LeSabre, I just feel good.

Many have complained about the Crossfire’s numb steering. Believe me, you don’t know what numb steering is until you’ve spent a day behind the wheel of a Wrangler. And some have also complained about the notchy shifting of the manual stick Crossfire noting that it’s not as quick shifting as some cars on the road. Well, let me tell you, in my Wrangler I can outshift any eighteen wheeler on the road. And what about driveability and comfort compared to a RUF Porsche. In my Wrangler, every day is an adventure in driving and I can assure you I will never fall asleep at the wheel. And how does the road handling of the Wrangler compare to that of the RUF Porsche? Heck, who needs a road? And what about power and torque? I have yet to see anyone pull stumps on the ranch in their Porsche. When I am behind the wheel of the Wrangler, I just feel good.

And the quad-cab four-by-four pickup? Well, let’s see someone pile the family and the two labs in the Porsche and head to the cattle auction pulling eight full-grown bulls in the cattle trailer. And maneuverability? It’s amusing to look down on the Porsches maneuvering in an out of the traffic on the heighway because they can’t see five miles down the road like I can up in the cab of the pickup. And, although I am not certain, one or two of those bumps in the highway that I ran over may have actually been a Porsche. And when I behave myself well enough so that my wife let’s me drive the pickup (it’s her daily driver), I just feel good behind the wheel.

I think you’re beginning to get my point. The Crossfire just makes me feel good. And it’s fun. And I am willing to bet that is why most of you bought your Crossfire. I know Dan Root has fun in his Crossfire. Heck, he has more fun with his Crossfire just sitting at his keyboard than most of us have sitting behind the wheel of our Crossfires. And can there be any doubt about whether RedCross loves his crossfire? He spends so much time personalizing his Crossfire that it is obvious he is in love. And it’s obvious that MI Roadster not only loves her Crossfire, she loves everyone who drives a Crossfire.

For the very few of you who just don’t feel good sitting behind the wheel of your Crossfire, then I hope that you find something that does make you feel good. I pray that Santa brings Bullseye an Evo for Christmas, because God only knows that we all deserve to feel good behind the wheel of whatever it is that we are driving.

I wish all of you the merriest of holidays, and I hope that throughout the holidays and beyond, may your Crossfire make you feel good.

Alvin